Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Military Wristwatch Question "Click" to Login or Register 
<Jack Wagner>
posted
HI Guys/Gals

I'm a pocket watch collector. I just acquired a Military wrist watch for nostalgia purposes (Viet Nam Era). I'm hoping some one can tell me something about it.

Benrus/Belforte ??

Markings>>

FSN:6645 9523767
Ser No: 059788
Contract No: DA 36 038 AMC 1270(A)
Date: July 1964
MFG PART NO: 11K11850
U.S. Wrist Watch Non-Maintanable

No MIL SPEC LISTED ??

This is the interesting part for me as I visted Ned Frederick's site and that answered most of my questions. He noted the start of these watches is October 1964 while mine is clearly marked July 1964 and he has seen unmarked MIL Spec watches from 1965. This has me suspicious about the authenticity.

I am going to post a picture. This I believe is where the MIL Spec should be. if you want to look.

On The Dial it's marked SWISS

I would appreciate any info at all.

Thanks
Jack

Back Middle

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Welcome Aboard Jack!

I think a lot of us would like to see an overall image, dial-side as well.

Thanks for your participation.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
<Jack Wagner>
posted
Here is the front. Sorry my tripod in the car and I didn't drag out the lights. This is a trade off of detail versus size. Thse are taken with a Nikon 8700.

<Jack Wagner>
posted
FULL Back

<Jack Wagner>
posted
Finally a close up of the FSN

posted
Jack,

Another member found me this site. It may be helpful to you.

Copy and paste.

http://home.earthlink.net/~exresearch/InfoPages/W46374A.html

Posts: 95 | Location: Pembroke Pines, Florida USA | Registered: January 16, 2006
<Jack Wagner>
posted
Thanks Tim

That is Ned Frederick's site and from my research the definitive work on this topic. His site is the reason for my question. Click on this link for all of the MIL Spec models (or copy & Paste)

http://home.earthlink.net/%7ebrendo81/46374.html

Click on the first version and look at the middle of the page.

http://home.earthlink.net/%7eexresearch/InfoPages/W46374.html

Again thank you
Jack

posted
Jack, These issue watchs were considered "drop accountability", that is, they were not designed for repair. They were thrown away when they quit. I went through 5 or 6 of these during my tour in the far east. I still have the last one. Not working, but a keepsake.

Tom

<Jack Wagner>
posted
Thanks Tom

It was just a nostalgia buy for me. Obviously I saw several during my tour and never paid attention to them. Maybe it means more to me 40 years out and I like to find out what I can about the pieces I do collect.
Jack

posted
I think you have a hole in the center of the case back.A little epoxy cement on the inside will fix it up.I have one of these I repaired.The previous owner did not want to pay for the repair so he gave it to me.
J Smith

Posts: 188 | Location: Warrenton, North Carolina U.S.A. | Registered: January 12, 2003
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Hi Jack,

From what I can see, your watch looks ok. It's possible that early issue watches did not have the same configuration of markings as those made latter on.

Lets see if anyone has one like it.

Best regards,

Greg

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
<Jack Wagner>
posted
Thanks Julian/Greg

With me it's the history behind what you collect rather than the thing itself. I now know more about Army procurement than I ever wanted to know e.g. the "AMC" in the contract number has to stand for Army Material Command.

Jack

posted
I guess then that the "DA" stands for "Department of the Army"?

I once heard that the NSN's with the -00- in the series of numbers (like 6645-00-952-3737) meant a stock number in existence before 1970, and the NSN's with -01- in the series were post 1970.

I realize we're dealing with FSN's here but wanted to see if you know anything about this (or if anyone else knows of this).

Tim.

Posts: 95 | Location: Pembroke Pines, Florida USA | Registered: January 16, 2006
<Jack Wagner>
posted
Hey Tim,

My guess is major version change. In the thread is a web site developed by Ned Frederick. You will see 2 links. Click on the first and then go to the bottom of the page. Click on CHECKLIST. That will give all of the FSN's.
Jack

posted
Thanks Jack! That's a great website that I have yet to explore thoroughly.

Tim.

posted
Here is mine:

They have plastic cases but the movements are the same as the metal case ones.

Posts: 74 | Location: Redondo Beach, California USA | Registered: July 12, 2006
<Jack Wagner>
posted
Tim:

There is some hard work and research that went into that site. I did send him a thank you via the link at the bottom. I believe he likes the input. He ask for and I sent him full size pictures.

Perry

I struck out on the Contract number. If you can find the time can you post the contract date, MIL Spec and the FSN if its are different from mine. Might be interesting. Thanks for the PICS

Jack

posted
What a coincidence, I just found this old thread and compared with my watch, pre Mil-Spec and also from July 1964. The first shown watch from Jack Wagner has the serial nr. 059786 whereas mine has the nr. 057799.
I also mailed my information to Ned Frederick, telling him I bought the watch in Vietnam-Hanoi and got a thanks mail from him.

My WWW collection is now complete, time to look for new ventures!

Posts: 699 | Location: Hannover in Germany | Registered: July 23, 2009
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
A nice find Werner.

Inside these seemingly disposable watches, I have found excellent movements. I remember a 17 jewel Seiko in particular. Access to the movement is from the front of the watch by removing the crystal.

In answer to your question, I think it's possible that many of these watches are still around.

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
posted
thanks for your reply Greg. A 17 jewel Seiko? Big Grin
Oh well, I suppose it´s better than throwing the watch away!

Woke up this morning with my teeth still in and the watch... Big Grin

My WWW collection is now complete, time to look for new ventures!

Posts: 699 | Location: Hannover in Germany | Registered: July 23, 2009