WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Welcome Aboard IHC185™     Internet Horology Club 185    IHC185™ Discussion Site Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Horological Discussions, Questions and Answers  Hop To Forums  Military Timepiece Discussions - EXCLUSIVE!    Comparison of the Elgin Type A-17A (MIL-W-6433) and Elgin Type DTU-2/P (MIL-W-3818A)
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Comparison of the Elgin Type A-17A (MIL-W-6433) and Elgin Type DTU-2/P (MIL-W-3818A) "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
posted
I had some free time this afternoon to photograph two of my favorite Elgins, the Type A-17A and Type DTU-2/P. For starters, here is my Type A-17A, with original packaging. I found this watch in the unopened packaging a while back, 1995 if I remember correctly. When I purchased it, I had to take the word of the seller that the package was still sealed and indeed contained a watch since she wouldn't open it. Can't blame her really and she seemed trustworthy, so I bought it unopened. Of course, once I received the package I had to open it. These photos will show what I found.

The outer most wrapping, dated April 1957.

The inner was foil lined.

Moisture absorbent pack.

Moisture indicator.

Watch wrapping.

Inside this last wrapping was the watch head and strap. The strap was tightly wrapped around the watch and I used a hairdryer to warm it up and flatten it out. Here is the watch along with the accompanying packaging.

Close-up of the watch looking as it did from the Elgin factory in April of 1957. Beautifully polished bezel face.

Detail of the back of the original issued strap.

Elgin stamped buckle.

Detail of the front of the strap.

Back of the watch. Serial number matches that on the outside of the packaging. Elgin manufacturer's part number 2172.

Let's open her up! Inner case back showing Elgin part number 2172.

Photo of the Grade 685 "D" movement, correctly showing no serial number.

Now onto the Elgin Type DTU-2/P. First off is a side by side photo with the Type A-17A. Same case profiles only with a passavated finish.

Close-up of the watch showing same type of dial but different handset.

Detail of the caseback of the watch. Elgin manufacturer's part number 805-2184.

Let's open her up! Inner case back showing Elgin part number 2184.

Photo of the Grade 805 movement.

Now for something interesting. Here is a comparison of the Elgin Type DTU-2/P and what has been known until now as a Bulova MIL-W-3818A.

Let's first take a look and compare the dial side. Very similar designs from the cases and dials to the handsets.

Now let's turn them over. Notice anything interesting?

If you said they had the same stock number and contract number, you are correct.

It is my contention that just as the Type A-17 is associated with specification MIL-W-6433, specification MIL-W-3818A should be associated with Type DTU-2/P. Another reason for this thinking is that specification MIL-W-3818B superseded MIL-W-3818A and we all know what those watches are called... Type DTU-2A/P. What say the hive?

For next time...

Posts: 101 | Location: San Antonio, Texas in the USA  | Registered: July 25, 2006