Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

An Interesting WWI Broad Arrow Wristwatch "Click" to Login or Register 
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
In an email, Ken Weeks described a rather interesting wire-lug pocket/wristwatch. So, I thought I might turn this over to the board for comments:

Per Ken:

"The Pocket Watch is made of Nickel Silver & was made to be used as a wrist watch . I say this because the crown is at 3 o'clock (side winder style ) & if placed on the wrist , it looks natural . I've seen plenty of ladies fob watches made into wrist watches but they look awkward for the user ! This P/W looks natural & I think that was how it was manufactured . On the outer edge of the case at 12.00 o'clock & opposite at 6 o'clock there are 2 spots visible where wire lugs have been machined off (professionally ).. Inside the case are the stubs of the old side , wire lugs & they were origonal equipment , as far as I can tell .. I think that is how the Admiralty bought it from 'Poole & co' ! It's 42mm dial is big for a wrist watch unless you were a gunnery officer training men for action ! Poole & Co used to manufacture Chronometers for the Admiralty & this is a watch by them ! On the Back of the case is engraved a Broad Arrow of the Admiralty with the name 'Poole' & under that the watch serial # . Another point of intrest is that it was made in Switzerland & the Manufacturers Name it ' Atlas ' & the Company Sign is a circle with 3 equilateral triangles inside a circle ! It needs an overhaul & clean & oil & a new balance staff which I'll make & a pair of hands to make it run . What beats me is that I can't find a Caliber # on it & can't find it listed in ' R. Flume ' or ' Best Fit ' .... Help please Greg . Can you or the group tell me any history OR the Caliber # or the age of this Pocket / Wrist watch ? Thanks from Ken Weekes in Australia"

Greg comments:

If it would be of any help in finding the caliber, Atlas was a trade name of Stauffer, Son & Co. of La Chauz de Fonds, London, Morges-St Jean. The London branch was a partnership of Francis Claude and Charles Nicolet, they were listed as a wholesale watch outlet. "The Atlas watch" was registered as a trade mark in 1892. Stauffer changed it's name to The Atlas Watch Co., in the 1920's.

Naturally, some pictures would be of value.

Any additional information regarding Ken's watch would be of interest.

Best regards,

Greg

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002