Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

U.S. NAVY PENNWOOD NUMECHRON "Click" to Login or Register 
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
As far as I know, nothing has been published about the U.S. Navy Pennwood Numechron clocks. The index of Marvin Whitney's MILITARY TIMEPIECES does not mention them at all.

This one is a Mark I, Mod. 0, serial No. 295

If you have one, please post the serial number and any other information.

Thanks,
Greg

Posts: 1942 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
The thin slip of plastic in the window is now yellow and not such a good fit any more:

Posts: 1942 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
The data plate on top:

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
The one page instruction sheet

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
The original box: Note U.S. Navy inspection mark to the upper right.

posted
Hi,
Here is an example with Naval Observatory s.n. 1281.
-Ron

Posts: 41 | Location: Kansas City, Kansas in the USA | Registered: January 01, 2008
posted
Without a Naval Observatory plaque, this 24-hour version uses same housing casting.

Posts: 41 | Location: Kansas City, Kansas in the USA | Registered: January 01, 2008
posted
Made by Wickes, here is another example of a more recent 24-hour Direct Reading Clock. I'm guessing it was made in 1970's-1980's. I have no idea how clocks of this type were used.
-Wherever it was installed, space must not have been a problem. The rectangular metal housing measures 7 in. high x 10 in. wide, 5.75 in. deep.

posted
Also made by Wickes, this version's front panel is angled.

posted
By an unknown manufacturer, this version is same approximate size as two Wickes examples.

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Thank you Ronald.

I thought this was going to be a dead topic.

An interesting group of direct read variations. Whatever application they had, the Govt. kept buying them.

posted
Hi Greg. I have one with serial # 7044 and same gray color as yours.It was in the Sasebo BOQ in 1952.

Would like to acquire a copy of the one page Instruction for my records. Any chance?

Al

Posts: 4 | Location: Oregon, in the United States | Registered: November 09, 2006
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Very interesting, thanks for posting.
Brian C.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
posted
Mine is #4934 1944

Posts: 74 | Location: Redondo Beach, California USA | Registered: July 12, 2006
posted

posted

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Thanks for the images.

From the serial numbers we have been seeing, it looks like the Navy bought these in the thousands. I wonder if there are any of these Pennwoods with a date other than 1944?

posted
quote:
to

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA...IT&item=220363779051

A lucky collector can snag this

Another 1944

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
My Ship the USS Carpenter DD825 had one of these and was used on the Quarter Deck while in Port during the time I was on board, 1960-65....

Never saw it used anywhere else on the ship....

Regards,
Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008