Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

US Marine Corp Markings? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of John J. Flahive III
posted
I came across this dial for sale with the Marine Corp logo. To me it looks after-market or customized. It supposedly is for a Hamilton 987A wrist watch. It got me wondering if anyone has seen any official US Marine Corp markings on watches.

John III

Posts: 1755 | Location: Colorado in the USA | Registered: October 17, 2005
IHC Life Member
posted
Hi John,

Back when I first began to collect US military watches (mid-80s) I came across a bunch of these dials in big lots. I purchased one lot and then slowly sold them or gave the away. Then maybe 5 years ago or so, I noticed some of these same style of dial all of a sudden show up but looking brand new. It was about the same time that I saw an influx of the chinese made case, dials and handset for the WWII era Hamilton Grade 987A field watches in waterproof style of cases. So I just assumed that the chinese were cranking them out as well. The one you show looks to me to be one of the originals due to the condition of the luminous material. Having said all of this,I believe these dials to be contempory after-market dials as they do not meet any requirements that I've ever seen with their symbols. I've seen thesefor Army and Navy as well as USMC. With respect to watches with USMC marking on them, I only know of two watch, the Hamilton Grade 747 and the Elgin Grade 532. I've got one of each in my collection and they are the only two with USMC marking but these are stamped on the case back. Nothing to denote USMC ever made it to an issued watch's dial.

Posts: 101 | Location: San Antonio, Texas in the USA  | Registered: July 25, 2006
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of John J. Flahive III
posted
Hi James,

Interesting to hear your perspective on these USMC dials. I suspected that they were not original issue since the design goes into the seconds chapter. Do you have any pictures of the Hamilton Grade 747 or Elgin Grade 532?

John III

Posts: 1755 | Location: Colorado in the USA | Registered: October 17, 2005
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

I would agree with James that John's dial is after-market.

Hamilton 747 movements likely came in a variety of cases, here is a topic that includes a good image of the 747 movement...

"Hamilton Glenn 14k case 1948" by Samie Smith

Smile

Posts: 5220 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
snappy looking dial.

James: If you have the time, collectors would benefit from seeing examples of these after market, military, private purchase dials. I wonder if they were made by Hamilton or by an after market dial company.

Sad to hear about the fakes but that's a fact of life for the collector.

Posts: 1983 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
IHC Life Member
posted
I'll be home in a couple of weeks and will see if I have any of those dials stashed away. A while back I sold off most of my spare parts but I don't recall if any of these dials were included in any of the lots.

Regarding the two USMC marked watches (Hamilton and Elgin), I'll try to get some photos of them as well and post here.

Posts: 101 | Location: San Antonio, Texas in the USA  | Registered: July 25, 2006
posted
A few years ago I opened a box of new old stock Hamilton military dials made by the Philadelphia Watch Supply Company who made military dials for the Ordnance Dept. I was restoring a military Hamilton 986A Ordnance wrist watch and the dial was in poor condition and needed a replacement. Each dial I opened from the sealed envelopes was marked US Navy and Hamilton on the dial. I opened about three more factory envelopes and the rest were marked the same. I use to have a lot of NOS military factory dials for the Hamilton 986A and 747's, but this was the first box that had the dials marked US Navy and Hamilton, the rest only were signed only Hamilton. Still have the box which was marked Stock No. FO36-7198611, Ord Dwg No. A7198611, Mfs No: Ham. 1531, Used on: Watch, Wrist, Hamilton, Danger: Radio-Active Material and Date Packed:January 1952. The box also had a Ordnance Seal which I broke to open the box. No logo on these dials as the USMC dial posted above. I think I have one of the dials somewhere and will post a picture as soon as I locate it.

Posts: 785 | Location: Tijeras, New Mexico USA | Registered: July 12, 2005