Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Royal Navy PW? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...looking for confirmation that this Swiss made 16S 15 jeweller that I just bought was likely 'Government Issue' to the Royal Navy in WW2?...

Posts: 872 | Location: Kingsville, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 16, 2003
posted
Jim
Is there any sign of a HS or Admiralty pattern number anywhere?
Not with standing any other marking the broad arrow is a clear RN give away.

Posts: 58 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: February 28, 2005
IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...I don't yet have the watch in hand Craig...all I have until then are the pics above...thanks for your input tho'...WW1 perhaps?

Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
The Broad Arrow or Crow's Foot Symbol is a mark on all War Dept, Ministry of Defence Property. It is not only on Navy property but on Army and Royal Airforce equipment as well. Subject to any other Identification this Watch could be ex any of the 3 services. Regards, Ged.

Posts: 909 | Location: Winterton-on-Sea Norfolk, England | Registered: February 17, 2003
posted
Nice watch Jim, Glitzy sells some good things.
I was not home when the auction ended, but had my eye on that one too.
How hard will it be to get a stem and fit it to this watch?

posted
Ged
The broad arrow was used on property of all services. I have only seen the "broad" broad arrow on RN property. Very silimar to the marking on a couple of watches I have. They have an Admiralty pattern number on them. It still took a lot of time to found any reference to them anywhere thou.

Posts: 58 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: February 28, 2005
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
While the Royal Army used the broad arrow, I would agree that this one looks like an Admiralty type broad arrow. I have seen various former Royal Navy Webley revolvers, MKI, MK II, etc, with similar- large- “crows foot” broad arrows hand cut into them. The arrow is also similar to the one used on the Admiralty depth charge stop watch.

This watch is uncommon in various ways. For one thing, the marking appears to have been hand cut. Or, the mark was die stamped at first and then accented by hand.

To me, hand work is cause for concern. It is possible that a sailor with nothing to do accented the broad arrow on his watch. The concern is how easy it is to take a worthless commercial watch and cut a broad arrow into it and sell it for more money. With an internet picture, it’s hard to tell. The next step is to run your fingers over the crows foot and see if it feels freshly cut or if it is worn down. If the ware on the broad arrow is consistent with the ware on the rest of the case it is more likely a genuine military watch. If the broad arrow was die stamped that would also be sign to me that it is genuine.

Best regards

Greg

Posts: 1948 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
....thanks to all for your comments...I fitted the 'piece w/a detente stem and crown and will likely Ebay it...no other marks on the movement or case ex: a case #...the accents on the broad arrow, under close examination, appear too precise to be anything but die-stamped...runs and sets well; keeps good time...thanks again!

posted
Jim let me know when and if you Ebay the watch, i would be interested in bidding on it.