• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hungarian Air Force WW2 Angelus Chrono Légi Erö "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I picked this one up recently, knowing it was marked as Hungarian Air Force (L.E.= Légi Erö), but knowing nothing else. There´s not much on the web about them, although the watches do tend to pop up for sale occasionally. I´ve seen pictures where the hour numbers and hands were radium lathed, mine seems to have been removed. The movement being an Angelus Cal 215.
Original factory dial with Arabic numerals, tachimetre utility scale and two auxiliary dials at 3 and 9 o´clock.
Manufactured around 1938-1945, with a stainless steel case and back
The heart of the legendary Angelus, own developed column wheel control, two-button, hand-winding chronograph movement, 17 jewels! Power reserve approx. 48 to 52 hours!
I was informed on another board that the Angelus 215 was the movement selected by Panerai for its Radiomir Mare Nostrum of which only one is known to exist. Built is 1943, the project was scrapped when the Italian Navy surrendered
Can anyone add any more information, I would be more than grateful?

Best Regards

My WWW collection is now complete, time to look for new ventures!

Posts: 699 | Location: Hannover in Germany | Registered: July 23, 2009
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
hundreds pieces of Radiomir Panerai watches that have been produced became the priceless treasure, followed by the watch lovers around the world.???? Big Grin

from an article on Google I found then lost Roll Eyes It also said they were worn by the pilots of the mini submarines Italy used to great effect sinking three british ships I believe in Alexandria Harbour

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
posted
Hi Tom, yes hundreds of Panerai Luminor Marina Militare were made, but only one Radiomir Mare Nostrom
It was sold by Christies for CHF 132,000
Vintage Panerai Radiomir Mare Nostrum At Christie Auction
Stainless steel / manual winding movement / hours, minutes, seconds / chronograph / luminous hour markers / produced in 1943 / sapphire crystal glass face

On September 28, 2005, a vintage Panerai Luminor Marina Militare was auctioned at a high price at Antiquorum that was held in New York, in November of this year, Panerai created a new record at Christie auction, the vintage and historic Radiomir Mare Nostrum was sold out at the price of CHF 132,000( $141,226.07 USD).

Panerai has started to design professional wrist watches for Italian commandos since 1938. In 1943, the first Panerai chronograph watch Mare Nostrum was born, it was specially designed for those civilian officials on the deck. The name of Mare Nostrum came from the torpedo timer, the watch was only a test item, because it was during the World War II(1939-1945), Mare Nostrum was not put into production, until 50 year later, it just came out. In 1993, the military contract between Panerai and Italian Navy expired, after one year, Mare Nostrum was officially introduced to the general consumers. At the Christie auction in this year, the Mare Nostrum was exactly the test item that was produced in 1943, its historic significance made it more precious.

Here´s a picture of the modern replica and another explaination on the Panerai site ;

and here´s the link to Christies Sale, 14 November 2005
Hotel Richemond, Geneva Radiomir Mare Nostrum At Christies Auction

posted
Hi Jimmy

The Angelus LE chrono is featured in Michele Galizia’s book “Military Wristwatches” (page 148).

Volume 26 of Esembl-O-Graf covers Angelus Cal 215/217 (I can send you the relevant section).

http://www.mwrforum.net/forums...02&highlight=angelus

best regards

Ken

Posts: 57 | Location: Geneva, Switzerland | Registered: April 27, 2010
posted
That would be marvelous if you would do that for me Ken, as I´m a little reluctant to fork out US$ 181.63 for Michele Galizia’s book, without seeing what else is in there first! Military wristwatches. Sky, land, sea
Thank´s for the offer Ken.

Best Regards