WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

WW2 German ships clocks Kieninger & Obergfell (sp) "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi all,
After some research on the Internet I was pointed in your direction
I Dug this out at my mum and dad's the other day ....thought you might like to have a shufty .

Apparently my Grandad 'liberated' it from a German battleship during WWII ...
It hung on my Grand dad's wall until he passed away several years ago.From there it went on to live in a cupboard at my Mum and Dad's

I have collected some information on it as far as the maker and following the reading of some of the posts on this forum I gather that it from a "Nordsea" serving vessel .
But any further info/help would be most appreciated .
Any more info/help would be most appreciated

Posts: 3 | Location: Ashton Under Lyne in the United Kingdom | Registered: March 19, 2012
posted
Couple more pictures

Posts: 3 | Location: Ashton Under Lyne in the United Kingdom | Registered: March 19, 2012
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
a lovely old historical piece I wish I owned and in just excellent condition ,another reminder of the 3 of my family lost at sea in WW2 through enemy action while serving in the RN and the MM Wink

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
posted
quote:
Apparently my Grandad 'liberated' it from a German battleship during WWII ...

Now what a feat, how did grampy manage that I wonder?...No german battleships gave themselves up without the captain giving orders to scuttle the ship first!

Apart from that it´s a magnificent clock that I wished were in my possession!

to quote Knirim

My WWW collection is now complete, time to look for new ventures!

Posts: 699 | Location: Hannover in Germany | Registered: July 23, 2009
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
actually a fair number of warships and U-boats disobeyed the scuttle orders of their Grand Admiral and surrendered at Londonderry and other ports. The official articles of surrender authorized them to surrender to the nearest allied warship, and some surfaced and surrendered to minesweepers !! Very brave sailors they were ,the U-boaters, but so were the fine sailors who died from their torpedoes,my grandmother's brother , Boatswain Donald (Dan) Tarrel of the SS Baron Dechmont of Ardrossan,torpedoed off the coast of Brazil, and her sister's son - Smn. Donald (Dan) MacAngus ,HM Battleship Royal Oak, torpedoed in Scapa Flow , and both of them my lifelong heroes along with my uncle Smn. Alexander MacAngus of the minesweeper Fleming H-2,and at the helm when she was bombed in the Thames Estuary Smile

Then there was the general German surrender signed at Reims on 7 May which came into effect from 0001 hours (German Summer Time) on 9 May. This led, on 8 May, to the issue of the specific pre-planned Admiralty order (under the codeword "Adieu") that all U-Boats, including those in Norwegian ports, were to surrender with effect from 0001 hours on 9 May, and that those at sea were to head for designated reception ports; the prime one of which was Loch Eriboll.

As a result of these instructions, 156 U-Boats surrendered to the Allies on both sides of the Atlantic.

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009