WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Help !! Info needed on Bulova Accuquartz Navigator "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member

Picture of Fred R. Hougham
posted
Hi all !
Getting ready to list these two on Ebay for my Father and would like any information available. I have tried NAWCC and a Google search and didn't turn up much except they were very limited in production and made most likely about 1973. These aren't military by any means but I thought members reading this forum might be more familiar with them. The one on the left is marked Accutron Navigator Mark II, 24 hour dial w/ sweep seconds and is powered by three stacked accutron movements connected via wires inside the weighted base.
The second unit is marked Accuquartz Navigator Mark III with sweep seconds, 12 hour dial, day & date and is powered by a single accutron movement.
Thanks
And everyone have a great weekend.
Fred

Posts: 324 | Location: Daytona Beach, Florida USA | Registered: November 29, 2002
IHC Life Member

posted
b2

Posts: 324 | Location: Daytona Beach, Florida USA | Registered: November 29, 2002
IHC Life Member

posted
b3

IHC Life Member

posted
b4

IHC Life Member

posted
b5

IHC Life Member

posted
b6
The extra slug on top of the movement next to the setting pin, holds extra batteries. There are also batteries in the movements. The movements are set 120º apart on top of each other. This was done to increase accuracy. I did find one unit listed at a web site for the British Naval Musuem with limited information about it.
Fred

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Fred,

I've seen the Mark III before and have always wondered about the II and what a I might be for that matter. The idea of multiple movements is fascinating. I for one am very interested in learning more about it.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member

posted
I managed to get a picture of the single movement, but I can't figure out how the set lever comes off the back of the multi movement, so I decided to leave well enough alone.
Fred

posted
The three Accutron movements were set at 120 degrees to defeat the gravitation or position error inherent in the 214 and 218 movements.I think that two of the movements only had a fork and the electronic circuits.
Only one movement had to have the train and the dial and hands.
The accuquartz was not affected in this way because the fork was driven by the circuit and it overcame the out of poise of the fork.
I have a Buddy that worked in the Special Projects Division of Bulova and made up some of these.He is not on the internet and I can't convince him to come on and tell some of the stories he has told me.
Hope this helps.
J Smith

Posts: 188 | Location: Warrenton, North Carolina U.S.A. | Registered: January 12, 2003
IHC Life Member

posted
Thanks for the info Julian
Fred

<Luciano Valle>
posted
Hello,

I have a question about these Bulova chronometers: which is you opinion about the question which one is more interesting in the point of view of the horologist science?

Do you know if the Mark III is more rare than the Mark II? Which is the best one?

A last question: how much should be a fair price to buy a such chronometer?

Thanks a lot for your help and best regards,

Luciano

posted
Luciano,

Welcome to IHC 185.

I am sure someone will be able to answer your questions at this site.

We hope that you enjoy the information and education that can be found here.

posted
Whitney writes about both of these chronometers in his book "The Ship's Chronometer".

Posts: 767 | Location: Los Osos, California USA | Registered: December 12, 2002
posted
Hi Group,
I have one of the Navigator IIs, the one with the 3 214 movements. It is NOS that came from a jewelry store closed. I have heard that Bulova decided not to market these and asked stores to return them to factory. Mine has been running for over a year on 1 battery and within seconds of correct time. I have seen 2 of them sell previously for what I thought was a reasonable price. Not sure if we are allowed to discuss prices on this forum but I will discuss by private email.
Cheers,
Jerry Kenney

Posts: 1 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida, USA | Registered: June 18, 2005
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

There is no problem discussing prices and values here Jerry.

Let us know all you can and share an image or two. Big Grin

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
I sold one of these last year. They don't bring much money. See Whitney's book the Ship's Chrnometer. He discusses both models on starting on page 313.

Posts: 767 | Location: Los Osos, California USA | Registered: December 12, 2002