WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Here's a shot of a WW2 German vehicle lock (I think)... "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
It was mounted in the remnants of a 105mm brass shell casing. The headstamp on the bottom of shell casing is dated 1944 with small German 9mm shell bases soldered on the bottom. I have not found any external markings on the dial or casing of the clock. I have not disassembled the clock. The fellow I bought it from claimed it came out of a German halftrack. Has anyone seen one like this? It's an 8 day clock and it still runs. Thanks...Kim

Posts: 28 | Location: Vandalia, Ohio U.S.A. | Registered: September 26, 2004
posted
A closeup of the dial...

posted
Another view...

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
The clock looks like something which would have been found on the dashboard of a WWII vintage car or truck. Without military acceptance marks it’s hard to attribute it to a German truck. German military vehicles most often used German made 8 day clocks by Keinzel, Bauerle, Junghans and others. Those I have seen hinged outward and wound from the back with a large knob. German forces seized and used private vehicles in various parts of Europe.

This clock most likely came from a disabled or blown-up vehicle. Local people, sometimes prisoners of war, used large brass shell casings and other battle field leavings which they made into lamps, ashtrays, cigaret lighters, and various other souvenirs. These items were sold or traded for some cigarets.

Today, these things are called, “trench art”. It is uncommon to find trench art which incorporates any sort of timepiece. Thus, I think you have a rather exceptional example, given that the brass work is nice and it has a clock in it. Thank you for your post.

Best regards,
Greg

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002