• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Chronometer "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Pictured here is another common misconception.... The chronometer in the picture is often refered to as a submarine chronometer... and I must admit of overpaying way back when I bought it as such. In reality it is a Luftwaffe chronometer The clock is set in a ring of ruber called Metallgummi.

Posts: 132 | Location: London/London/England | Registered: December 13, 2004
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Hi Oliver. I rather like your chronometer. Are Luftwaffe chronometers more or less rare than those for U-Boats?

BTW, what is printed on the dial? Are there any RLM markings on it?

Best regards,
Greg

Posts: 1983 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
posted
Hello Greg, I would believe that U-Boot Chronometer have to be rarer... not just because most of them were sunk but having said this Luftwaffe Chronometer should be much rarer than naval chronometer. Whereas even here you have to consider that many of the navy pieces were reused post wwii mostly with the M number and eagle removed. Hence any instruments with the original markings of naval use will also be scarce. Now to the markings. There is no BAL stamp to be found anywhere on the two examples I own 2998 and 2826. This may be due to the fact that at the beginning of the war (numbering would make them early) Chronometers were to my knowledge tested and certified by an institution called the Seewarte in Hamburg (navy). The interesting differences to the navy version are obviously the mounting in the rubber ring marked Metallgummi (metalrubber) and in both cases 2371 3 42 which may hint at a production run in March 1942?. Furthermore the housing is made from aluminum as opposed to brass and bakelite, the wooden case has metal handles as opposed to wooden ones, The time can be set via a large crown on the outside of the aluminum casing. Lastly the dial is silvered as opposed to white as on the naval versions. Marking is Gerh. D. Wempe, Abt Chronometerwerke Hamburg plus the number on the dial. The numbering is also found on the wooden box and partially on the movement. The only other marking I was able to find is a triangle with the letters RG over the letter L on the movement. The Naval version I own is in a bakelite housing has the eagle marking (naval use) but no M number. The dial reads Chronometerwerke Wempe Hamburg 4014, has the C over W marking on the white face.

posted
Here is a picture of the other Luftwaffe Chronometer

posted
Of course Lange and Soehne also produced Chronometers but I believe that Wempe was actually the inovative leader here. The regular Lange Chronometer is pictured here

posted
Now there is also an interesting second version which is a bit of a joke. The Lange B-Chronometer looks just like the Chronometer mounting and case wise but runs on a pocket watch movement of the Lange deck watch (which also has a power reserve) This one is often called the torpedoboat chronomter as it seems to have been used on these. Just the same it can be assumed that all 'coastal vessels' would have been equiped in such a maner. The obvios differentiator is the marking on the face. containing the letter B these usually sell about 50% cheaper then the proper chronometer hence one should be aware especially when buying online. Please note the different style of numbering to the previous image also containing said letter B at the end.

posted
Hello Oliver,

Thank you for posting the images. Konrad Knirim has written a book about German Military timepieces. Are any of these types pictured in his book?

What did post WWII German military use for timekeepers?

U.S. Navy purchased a true chronometer from Hamilton Model 21 plus a variety "deck watches" both gimballed and non-gimballed from Hamilton, Waltham, and Elgin. Elgin tried to get their chronometer approved - they submitted some prototypes but they did not perform well enough.

Posts: 53 | Location: Grosse Pointe, Michigan USA | Registered: March 07, 2004
posted
Wempe continued to make chronometers (hence there is a cut off somewhere in the 4000-5000's)in the 50's plus at the same time wwii surplus was used. A lot of the deckwatches were screpped some time back with a lot of liberating happening at the same time ie replacing the deckwatches with cheap watches... hence the many iwc's and corteberts without the lid...
Concerning Konrads books, yes he has similar clocks posted and described in detail. He has about +/- 10 of my timepieces which he came to picture two weeks 'after' the editing deadline of his second book. 1 Panerai, 1 unique Cortebert, The wwii Assmann, the Hanhart movement in the shipping box and some others are pictured in his book. If you want a one stop reference to German timepieces there is no way around his most excellent book (!in nglish and German)

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Yes, Oliver, Konrad has done a great service to military collectors. The book is a must-have. Recently, Konrad wrote about Japanese military timepieces as well. I hope one day we will have a Konrad-quality book for other nationalities, such as the military timepieces of England/UK - (that would be a great undertaking!)

Thanks again for your observations. I always enjoy your informative posts.

Best regards,
Greg Crockett

Posts: 1983 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002