Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

rare multi dial ship's ? clock "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
this is my latest eBay purchase and she's a complex little beauty shown door open. any information that you can provide will be very welcome!! Confused Now how many like this have you all seen ???? Big Grin Will post more and better pictures when the little beauty arrives Wink hours, minutes,sweep seconds,and day of the week,never saw another like it in my life,nor has Werner or Michael !! Cool eBay has been good to me the last three or four weeks supplying a model 22 Hamilton in box and gimbals,a Longines brass fitted deck watch box,an HS2 Ulysse Nardin chronometer watch, a WW1 Allions Versaille US Air Service watch,and now this amazing little beauty Big Grin

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
#2 door closed

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
#3 with ruler showing that the clock is about 7" in diameter and showing the unusual latch on the brass bezel Smile

posted
That is a fascinating looking timepiece - great catch.

I have no idea what it might have been used for, whether it is civilian or military, and I have never seen another like it. The red wedges are not radio sector clock markings since they are for only 2 minutes each and are not on the radio silence times of the hour.

Do you know if there are maker's markings on the movement, or if there are any kind of markings on the back that might give a clue as to its purpose?

I hope someone here will be able to identify what it is and how it was used as I would like to learn.

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
I'm also very interested in discovering what the clock was used for and where it came from , and may be able to ascertain more about that when it arrives Big Grin

Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Could the Red wedges just be to separate the day, hour, minute chapters? If you look at the ends of the wedges they fall in with the other red 2 minute marks on the outer chapter, with 2 minutes between the red marks. Could this be a clue to it's use?

That is what I get for trying to think before the caffeine kicks in!

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
posted
Well, the wedges and the other marks are 2 second (not minute) marks, so not really a standard timing calibration. Congratulations Tom, it sure is a beautiful piece of clockwork, no matter what it was originally used for.

My WWW collection is now complete, time to look for new ventures!

Posts: 699 | Location: Hannover in Germany | Registered: July 23, 2009
posted
Which is the minutes and which is the seconds? Is the outer chapter the seconds? If so perhaps it was some kind of timer function? But if that is the case, wouldn't it have a start/stop/reset button on the case? It is a puzzle to me.

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
posted
I would say the outer chapter are the seconds, as the sweep hand is counter-balanced, not usually done on minute hands, I could be wrong, but I´m sure Tom will tell us which is which when it arrives.

IHC Life Member
posted
I wonder if it might not be for some sort of precise navigation/racing. The outer register is definitely seconds, and I'm guessing the wedges and 2 second marks are designed to enable timing within 2 seconds at a glance while steering or doing something else?

Very cool.

Posts: 995 | Location: Pleasanton, California in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2012
IHC Life Member
posted
Don't take this for gospel, but I think it is just a way to separate the different sub dials in a nice looking manner. (Week days at the top, hours to the left and minutes to the right.) As for an easy way to read the seconds at a glance, those wedges are not helping. On the contrary they make it harder when the seconds hand is situated as in the first picture. One thing that I'm curious about though is the hole at 30 seconds that looks like a hole for a winding/setting key. If it is for winding, you have to hurry before the seconds hand get there. If it is for setting, how do you set the different hands? Same story, hurry up before the seconds hands get tangled up in the key.

Regards, Krister.

Posts: 375 | Location: Backaryd, Sweden | Registered: April 19, 2009
posted
That´s all right, you´ve got 58 seconds to wind it up Smile