Tools
Reply to Post

ANOTHER LILLIPUTIAN WEST END POCKET WATCH "Click" to Login or Register 
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Lilliputian Military Pocket Watch

In an earlier thread (above) a small West End Watch Co. British Military pocket watch was reported. Now, we have another one to report which is nearly identical to the first but with Pakistani markings.

Posts: 1948 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Unlike the small West End obtained from a seller in India, this one came from a military equipment collector in Pakistan. The broad arrow P marking is the property mark used by Pakistan. India also uses a variation of the British broad arrow, but with an “I” under it.

The use of the word “COMMON” on the back of the Pakistani issued pocket watch is a mystery. The seller informed me that Pakistani military equipment is usually marked in English instead of Urdu, for this reason the “COMMON” marking could be a Pakistani military designation. However, it could also be a left over British military designation. The seller had no idea.

Posts: 1948 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
The Pakistani military went to the extra trouble of engraved the military P arrow on the movement as well as the back of the case. The practice of marking both the case and the movement was first observed on a Pakistani issued Wireless Transmitter Set pocket watch in a collection in Canada.

Clearly, this little watch had a long service life. It dates back as far as 1918 in British service. The watch continued in military service past 1948, the year Pakistan became a separate nation.

Best regards,

Greg

posted
Greg,
interesting...!
Re ''common'' does have anything to do with COMMONWEALTH'' which grouped the allied British countries?
best regards
enzo

Posts: 285 | Location: Rome, Italy | Registered: May 19, 2005
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Hi Enzo,

My theory so far is that "Common" means that the watch is a standard 7 jewel watch without any extra features. But, who knows?

Best regards,

Greg

posted
Given the tiny size of these, do you think they may have been used as a part of some kind of equipment rather than as a pocket watch? Maybe attached in a holder on a radio or something?

Posts: 871 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Hi Jim,

While instrument panel watches usually did not come with a bow, unless added latter, I suppose anything is possible.

Another one of my guesses is that these little watches were for women in military service, such as nurses. The other theory is that the watches were intended to be used in wrist adapters.

But for now, all I have are two interesting watches and lots of questions.

Best regards,
Greg