WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

New acquisition: Hamilton 3992B. Need more help of course. "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1550
posted
Greetings all,

When I first started collecting watches and then moved onto military timepieces I always would look through the reference books and had my wish list. One watch on the list that always seemed unreachable to me was the Hamilton 3992B. This is a guy who 5 yrs ago bought his first vintage watch, a broken 1928 Bulova wristwatch, for $62 and was quite upset that I would pay that much money for something I wanted to collect. My tastes and what I would consider expensive have changed, as all collectors feel eventually I’m sure, and I was lucky enough to pick up this little beauty. But it is missing one thing....................the deck
box! Can anyone out there somewhere please keep their eyes peeled for me to get the correct carrying case for this watch. I am sure we all agree the watch is not complete without it.

Also, can anyone elaborate on the contract data that seems to be engraved over the original on the rear case. I do know these watches were taken out of “H.S.” service and brought into the NATO codes after WWII. I seem to find that the code engraved does not seem to relate to the individual watch’s serial number like the updated Zenith deck watches were when they were changed over from “H.S.” designation. I have attached some photos for reference and any information, comments or questions I will take.

Thank you all for your help.....................there must be an empty deck box looking to give a watch a home somewhere. If there is any more information anyone may have regarding this piece I will welcome it. No better place to ask that IHC 185. Regards, Mike

Posts: 495 | Location: Southcoast Massachusetts | Registered: May 13, 2010
IHC Member 1550
posted
Rear case with contract data.

IHC Member 1550
posted
Movement pic

IHC Member 1550
posted
Another view.

IHC Member 1550
posted
Serial number 3C239

IHC Member 1550
posted
Just for reference: In the first post of this thread a Zenith HS3 deck watch was mentioned and its rear "MOD" additions that differ from Hamilton markings and introduce the last four digets of the serial number on the rear case.

IHC Member 1550
posted
Movement:

IHC Member 1550
posted
Picture of converted "decimal" dial:

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
I can't add anything other than the 3992B has also been on my someday list. Nice find!

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Member 1550
posted
Hello all,

Hamilton 3992B's are tough to find but if anyone is looking for spare parts or a starter example there is one on eBay now. It's looks to be in rough condition but with the correct replacement parts it has potential beauty. The listing is running short too with about 1 1/2 days left.

How does the saying go: You can make lemonade from silk and a sow’s ear carrying a purse with lemons in it.........oh I don’t know!
Regards, Mike

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160637...id=p3984.m1423.l2649