Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Thank you Veterans. "Click" to Login or Register 
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Here in the United States, November 11th was originally called Armistice Day, it was set aside to honor veterans of World War One. Back then it was called the “The Great War” or “The War to End All Wars.” For most of our troops WWI came to and end on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918. After that the Americans waited months and months for transport back home. But war is messy, and has fuzzy dates, as late as 1919, in North Russia, the American “Polar Bear” unit was still fighting pitched battles, but that’s another story....

After the Korean War, November 11th became Veterans Day.

At 109 years old Frank Woodruff Buckles is the last living WWI vet. Mr. Buckles lied about his age to go to war at age 15. While I don’t think we have any 15 year olds in uniform right now, we most assuredly have 18 and 19 year old men and women in harms way for our country. Veterans of all ages are in hospitals, out trying to find work, running businesses, going to collage and taking care of their families.

To the teenage soldier who only learned to shoot a rifle last year, to the 40 year old Army Reserve officer on active duty in Iraq, we have a lot of good people to be thankful for. Whether you are Frank Buckles at age 109 or a 19 year old woman Marine, this is your moment. The American People thank and solute you. But I think we should do a little more than that.

On this day, I strongly suggest that we Americans better educate ourselves and our children regarding our military history and the young people who lived it then and are living it today. Let us not forget.

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
BRUNTON + MACANGUS + TARREL

IN MEMORY OF

MY GRANDFATHER’S BROTHER SEAMAN HUGH MACANGUS , HM TRAWLER DHOON ( MINESWEEPER) 1916
MY MOM’S FIRST COUSIN SEAMAN DONALD (DAN) MACANGUS , AGE 19 HM BATTLESHIP ROYAL OAK 1939
MY MOM'S BROTHER,MY UNCLE SEAMAN ALEXANDER MACANGUS JR. AGE 20 , HM TRAWLER FLEMING (MINESWEEPER) 1940
MY GRANDMOTHERS BROTHER BOATSWAIN DONALD (DAN) TARREL, AGE 50 ,SS BARON DECHMONT 1943

ALL LOST AT SEA THROUGH ENEMY ACTION !! PROUDLY WEARING NAVY BLUES IN THEIR PHOTOS

**** NEVER FORGOTTEN NOT FOR A HEARTBEAT ****

LOVINGLY REMEMBERED BY TOM AND SANDY BRUNTON , BONNIE , ANDREW , JESSICA , BLAKE ,SETH AND AVERY.

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
A day late, but I salute you Greg for your contribution and salutation to our Military Personnel who are in harms way....

I have family members that served in most of our wars and conflicts dating back to the Civil War that I can trace and have lost family members in many of these....

Most recent, In Memory of two Uncles, Abe & Clifford....Uncle Abe was a member of the 10th. Armored Div. and was lost in the battle of the defense of Bastogne....

Uncle Clifford was a Marine and a member of the 24th. Regiment, Company C, 1st. Battalion, 4th Division and was lost to Grenade fire in the Saipan Invasion, in June of 44....

My Father, Floyd, lost his ship the USS PC815, The '**** Howler' was lost at sea with a number of lost sailors but my father was one of the survivors....

NEVER FORGET...!

Best to All....

Jerry King

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
And a very emphatic YES!!!! It's not just those lost who suffered! We'll never really know the personal hells the surviving service men and women suffered through and survived. We need to remember and be thankful to all of them. And I do with my deepest respect - Tom
"At the going down of the sun,and in the morning,we will remember them"

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
posted
We cherish their memory in our heart.....

Posts: 299 | Location: Mount Brydges, Ontario, Canada | Registered: November 10, 2005