• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Prima Watch Co ? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I am looking for any info about "Prima", and I have got the idea that "Prima" could either be or a "Prima Watch Co", almost unknown manufactures or a trade mark of somebody. I have some hints that "prima" could have been a trade mark of the elusive Mathey Freres & Co, but it seems that there are some military wristwatches with "Prima" marked on dials. Could you kindly give me some help ?
Thanks a lot
BTW, my problems has been brought about by a PW

Posts: 277 | Location: Cardano al Campo in Italy | Registered: March 29, 2008
posted
Hi Mario.

Here is a link to an Ebay auction for a Prima wristwatch that seems to be from the Jordanian military in the 1970s. http://cgi.ebay.com/montre-mil...C39%3A2%7C240%3A1318

I do not know if this is the same company as the maker of your pocketwatch. The name 'Prima' could have been a name used by more than one watch company - the meaning of the word 'prima' s 'first' or 'best' which seems more like a marketing name rather than a maker's name.

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
posted
Hi Jim.

Sure, the "Prima" do is a problem: I have seen Rolex Prima, Zenith Prima an so on. I have gone on searching but, truly, no steps further. I am not even sure, now, that "Prima" is not just a trade name, but the name of a manufacturer, but, in any case, no clues of a "Prima Watch Co" or alike. I have asked further info about the Matehy/Mathez link, but nothing, again, come out until now. Really puzzled ...

posted
Jim, it seems I came out with a definite info : I have found that Prima, together with Lancet were products lines of Didisheim family, with the quite better known MARVIN. Incidentally, ROLEX PRIMA movements do were Didisheim Prima, in the 1930s

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
The name Prima often appears on the dials of West End Watch Co. wristwatches.

West End Watch Co. has a long history in India, which goes back as far as 1883. It was used by the Indian branch of the Swiss watch company, Droz & Fils, of St. Imier. They marketed watches to military personnel for private purchase. Some were purchased by the British Govt. in India. Having earned a loyal following in India, The West End Watch Co. was in business at least into the late 20th century and may still be in business today.

I'm not sure what "Prima" stands for, but it also appears on other brands as well as West End.

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002