Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

POLJOT Russian Marine Ship's Chronometer Clock "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Skip Glascock
posted
This Poljot movement has a serial number of 23616. I thought the handles on this box were interesting, they are wood handles instead of the normal metal handles you usually see on these. I believe the box is a Ulysse Nardin. Any information on this item would be appreciated like what is the date of manufacture, what type on boat would it have been on, etc.

My biggest question is why is there a steel tube installed in the box? It runs from the back of the box to the front under the key holder at the bottom of the box. The second picture shows the access point at the back of the box, I can't figure out how to open it, it doesn't seem to screw off.

Thanks in advance.

Skip

Posts: 240 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: August 26, 2011
Picture of Skip Glascock
posted
This picture show the access to the tube, only turns about 1/2 a turn but doesn't unscrew.

posted
I am not an expert on these, but from what I understand they were generic and not for specific types of ships. Also, a great many were made after the fall of the USSR for sale to collectors or people who wanted a chronometer to put on their boat. I do not know how to tell the difference between the ones that were actually used vs. the ones that were made for collectors and general sale to the public. As for the case, again I am not a expert but I agree with you that it does not appear to be much like the ones I have seen on other ones so my guess is that it may be some kind of a replacement.

Posts: 871 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
Picture of Skip Glascock
posted
Thanks Jim, I believe that those made after the fall of Russia don't carry the CCCP mark under the serial number.

posted
You may be correct, Skip. On the other hand I have seen quite a bit of post fall stuff made for tourists that does have the CCCP marking since that is one of the major selling points for it. As for these clocks, as I mentioned, I am not an expert.

Posts: 871 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004