Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton Model 23 Chronograph in the Original Box "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of John J. Flahive III
posted
Here is something you don't see every day. It is a 19 jewel Hamilton Model 23 pocket watch which also functions as a stop watch - in other words a chronograph. I have two of these already, but was able to pick this one up (for a premium Eek) with the original numbers matching box.

The serial number of the movement is P25125 and the Keystone base metal case is numbered 626536. There are no markings on the outside of the case. If this watch movement doesn't get your blood pumping, you need new glasses. Big Grin

John III

Posts: 1755 | Location: Colorado in the USA | Registered: October 17, 2005
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Picture with the boxes

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Dial

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Case markings

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Box info

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Does anyone have an idea when this watch might have been made?

John III

posted
Thats a beauty John, great picking,
Bill

Posts: 1278 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 19, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Oddly, the Gelson list of serial numbers goes all around but does not include the letter "P". HOwever, page 12, "Specialty Products" of Roy Ehrhardt's Hamilton Watch Co. book shows 25,291 of these were made by 1948. So s/n 25,125 may have been about 1948 vintage.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Beautifull indeed SmileI know Hamilton had started the production of model 23 during world warII,between 1943 and 1946.

Posts: 185 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky in the USA | Registered: September 02, 2008
posted
Drool, drool, very nice, drool. Smile

What are the markings and contract numbers and such on the back of the case? They can be helpful in narrowing down date of manufacture also.

Posts: 871 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Jim,

The back of the case is blank - no ordnance markings. From doing a search for Hamilton Model 23 info on IHC185 it appears that some of these have markings and some not.

Model 23 Info

John III

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
David and Andrea,

Thanks for the info on the date of manufacturing. It looks like this one is about 60 years old which makes it 20 years older than me and much better preserved. Wink

John III

Picture of Wayne Hanley
posted
John
I acquired a Model 23 last month, movement serial number P16664, case number 89639. The case back data is barely discernable. With a magnifying glass I can make out the following markings:
AN5742-1
FFSG NO. ??590
MFR'S PART NO. 37297
HAMILTON WATCH CO.

The movement is so neat that I'm looking for a Keystone coin edge bezel & glass to uncover that beautiful mechanism. Any volunteers?

Wayne

Posts: 370 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 10, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Jim, A personal friend of mine, the late Col. Jim Howell gave me this model 23 (s/n P15659) which he carried flying B-17s from Australia about 1943-44 after which he came back to the states and finished the war doing pilot training and buying CA real estate. Are these markings consistent with that?

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Here is the back of P25125. Under magnification, all I can see are fine circular lines (Butler finish), but no ordnance markings.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
I have another Model 23 that is in pieces (P3252) and the case back has the following info:

NAVIGATIONAL
STOP WATCH
Type AN 57 42-1
MFR'S PART NO.37297
HAMILTON WATCH
COMPANY

This is similar to the markings on Wayne's watch, but quite a bit different than David's watch.

I also have P25250 (no markings) and P26952 (glass back).

John III