Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Russian Marine Chronometer "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
I finally pulled the plug and purchased a nice model 21 (that Paul Regan is going to cork and ship for me) and a Russian Chronometer. I purchased the russian off of the bay. I was worried the clock wasnt going to be up to par.. Man, was I wrong. It came in today properly corked and packed very well. The outside box shows a bit of wear on the top. The internal box is great along with the brass gimbals. I looked at the screw heads and none of them appear to have been touched. I got paperwork showing it was timed in 84 and again in 86.

There are numbers on the front of the box that I am going to see if I can figure out. Its going to be a blast putting this russian chronometer up against a model 21 (only if they are both running in tip top shape).

I will post some pics in the morning. I have grandson duty (were going to make a twinkie house) he is one and I am going to send him home full of sugar (what can I say, payback is a b****).

I will have more questions from some of you who are versed in these clocks (like what type of wood did the russians use). These boxes are a deep red in color.. I feel Like a kid with a new toy Big Grin

Thoughts Good or Bad

Bruce Byrd

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
box cover

Bruce Byrd

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
inner box

Bruce Byrd

Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
russian writing

Bruce Byrd

Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
clock with gimbals

Bruce Byrd

Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
Heavy duty brass tub

Bruce Byrd

Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
Movement

Bruce Byrd

Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
Serial Number matches dial plate

Bruce Byrd

Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
Fusee and Barrel. The Barrel has very little markings on it from use.

Bruce Byrd

IHC Life Member
posted
Wow nice clock!

Posts: 995 | Location: Pleasanton, California in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2012
posted
Congrats on your nice timepieces. You were lucky in buying the Russian one on Ebay. A number of members here have had some really bad experiences doing this.

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Very very nice!

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011