WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Ship's Chronometer Quartz of the USS Abraham Lincoln "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 478
posted
Hallo friends,
I just acquired an interesting military artefact. Nowadays I think the mechanical chronometers have all left the modern navy vessels to give place for the quartz controlled timekeepers. If these are not integrated in the bridge and navigation systems they are relativly simple boxes like this shown:
Marathon Chronometer coming from the US Navy Aircraft Carrier CVN 72 Abraham Lincoln.
The box is made of light plastik, the movement is a high quality Swiss quartz made by Imhof SA, a now gone La Chaud de Fonds manufacturer of high class table clocks. A clear readable white dial with centre second hand and military time indication, two 1,5V LR50 batteries fuel the clock.
I must say I hate all the quartz clocks and watches in my collection giving me the never ending job to control the batteries, if you leave them for years the movement will stop unrepairable. If they are kept without power, at least the mechanical parts will be stuck by drying oil. I just had to change the movement 2250Q of my IWC Ocean 2000 BUND ref 3314. (And I have another Imhof clock I can't get working again. For this I had to get are rare replacement movement.)
--
. Gruesse/Regards/Salute Konrad Knirim
PS: Have a look at my books on Military Timepieces:
. http://www.knirim.de

Posts: 85 | Location: Duesseldorf Germany | Registered: March 08, 2005
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Konrad. Thank you for the information and images.

I also hate to deal with battery changing, but that's still a cool chronometer and not something seen everyday.

Do these modern chronometers have issue dates on them?

Posts: 1983 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
IHC Member 478
posted
Thanks to Ken who could provide me with the related milspecs of 1975 and Chris at Chronometer.net is offering these chronometer issued in 1991 (now on Ebay).
The document shows a black dial, so it may have been changed after 1975.
Greetings Konrad Knirim
www.knirim.de

Posts: 85 | Location: Duesseldorf Germany | Registered: March 08, 2005