WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Royal Canadian Navy Deck Watch "RCN #700" Elgin 17j Gilded "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
Just a little gem of a 17 jewel RCN Royal Canadian Navy deck watch with a lovely movement gilded for "Sea Service" with screwed jewel chatons to the center wheel that I just bought off eBay. I can't wait to get it !!!! Big Grin oops,somehow it won't accept the pictures of the watch that the seller emailed to me. Confused I'll have to get Lindell to save me - AGAIN Roll Eyes Darn, determination can occasionally overpower dismal failure and despair, Frown by a very complicated means I got the pictures into a program, then into an email, then saved them in pictures , and voila they are here !!! Big Grin

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
#5 This one just sold online for $395 The website link follows and they have neat stuff looks like a good website to check up on and bookmark Wink

http://www.ashton-blakey-antiques.com/

posted
but you still have to be on your guard, there´s a fake Smiths on offer there as well!

My WWW collection is now complete, time to look for new ventures!

Posts: 699 | Location: Hannover in Germany | Registered: July 23, 2009
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
Werner,perhaps they are not aware of that fact!!! Remember my friend,not all have the vast amount of specialized knowledge that you have Wink

posted
I find that very hard to believe Tom as they are selling watches and clocks professionaly. They would certainly research the watches they buy and sell! Anyway its the Smiths with the small seconds at 6 that is incorrect. They were only issued with sweep central second hand and no pointy hands either...

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
I'm going to start calling you "Das Gehirn " LOL,knowledge is power-and money too ,have a great day,Jimmy!!!! Big Grin

posted
Hi Tom. That is a really nice looking Canadian Navy watch!

When you say it is gilded for sea service is there a reference somewhere such as a RCN specification/contract that describes that this is the reason? My thinking is that if this was the case then why are only some parts of the movement gilded and not others?

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
The main reason most chronometers and sea watches were gilded was to somewhat protect them from the salt in the air. Most military watches WW2 were not gilded,but then, most were not specifically acquired for actual sea service Wink

posted
...and beautifuly done, if I may add!