WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

ORD DEPT USA OF-181563 17j. Waltham 6/0-B SN 31975020 "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
ORD DEPT USA OF-181563 17j. Waltham 6/0-B SN 31975020

Have had this lying in a 'to get to' box for 18 months or so. I am a big guy, so I won't ever wear it, can somebody tell me what I should get out of it...I bought with a watch lot to get a 14K Hamilton that I had to have...so not too concerned with what I get, as long as it's fair. All help is appreciated and offers are welcome. BTW, it runs great, but the crystal is cracked at the 6 and 11. The cracks were there when I bought and the watch has always run fine.

Posts: 54 | Location: Danville, Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 31, 2014
posted
Front

Posts: 54 | Location: Danville, Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 31, 2014
posted
Pic 2

posted
Pic 3

posted
Pic 4

posted
Pic 5

posted
Running condition is a plus, but you do not mention whether it has been professionally disassembled, cleaned, worn parts replaced, and timing adjusted so I will assume it has not been. The wrist band is incorrect for this watch - it should have an olive drab, one-piece, canvas strap which would increase its value. The cracks in the crystal are detractions and the yellowed dial is a detraction. Ones like this, in this condition can be had for around $40, or maybe $50 on a good day, though you can find them for a bit less if you look around. These are not rare watches and you can buy all you like in various states of repair on Ebay. If you were to have it restored it could go as high as $100 to $125 but the restoration cost could likely be more than the increased value. You can buy ones that are not currently running for about $10 on Ebay. You will see a good number of the ones on Ebay with silly high starting bids and I will never understand sellers who set such starting bids when all any needs to do is look at the completed auctions to see their actual market values.

Posts: 871 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
posted
For anybody that is interested: Restoration is not needed. The crystal could use replacing and the military band would be a plus, but the watch runs PERFECT in every way...winds, sets and keeps great time.

posted
It probably has not been serviced in a long time.

Restoration or not, it still needs a COA (clean, oil and adjust) to avoid accelerated wear on the running parts if it is going to be run on a daily basis.

Posts: 301 | Location: Ogallala, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: August 27, 2005