Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

(2974B) My Latest Watch Purchase "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Gary Dutton
posted
Hi Guys,
I recently purchased this watch of that internet auction site and don't have it in my hands yet.
I know it needs work but I love to bring these type of watches back to life.
I will be looking for a set of hands and possible a crown with stem but they should be out there somewhere.
Anyway I will post pictures of it when I get it and the repair process.
Cheers
Gary

Posts: 340 | Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia | Registered: September 10, 2009
Picture of Gary Dutton
posted
Movement

Posts: 340 | Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia | Registered: September 10, 2009
Picture of Gary Dutton
posted
Back of Case

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
A worthy project. Thank you for the images.

Posts: 1960 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
posted
Nice watch,like the case.

Posts: 10 | Location: Florida in the USA | Registered: August 24, 2014
Picture of Gary Dutton
posted
Hi All,
The above watch has arrived and upon an initial inspection I noticed that the main gear jewel looks to be broken.
My question is does the jewel from a 992b, 4992B fit as a replacement.
I don't yet know if it is just that jewel or other things as well.
Thanks in advance.

Gary

posted
Gary, you might want to check with Larry Crutsinger at HAMILTONPARTS.COM He has many original parts for Hamilton military timepieces.
His email is detent21@aol.com

Posts: 317 | Location: Florida in the USA | Registered: December 07, 2009
Picture of Gary Dutton
posted
Thanks Paul,
I have used Larry in the past and will do again as soon as I finish the reply.
Cheers
Gary

Picture of Gary Dutton
posted
Just an update.
As per Paul stated I contacted Larry and have the parts needed on the way.

When I pull it down I found a lot more wrong with it than first thought but nothing that can't be fixed.
The staff was broken, the cannon pinion was rusted to the center wheel pivot, the hour wheel was also damaged so a new one was needed.
Some plates have very light rust but will clean up.
Will post some pictures tomorrow.
Cheers
Gary

Picture of Gary Dutton
posted
Hi All,
Well this is turning out to be an epic fix.
There is a lot more wrong with it than first thought and now i'm waiting for more parts to replace broken and rusty parts.
In the end it will be a fabulous watch and a keeper but living in Australia makes the wait that much longer. Will keep you informed as to the progress.
Cheers
Gary

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
quote:
Well this is turning out to be an epic fix.
There is a lot more wrong with it than first thought and now i'm waiting for more parts to replace broken and rusty parts.

Generally speaking that is why it is less expensive to buy one in better condition from the get-go than to keep an open tab as parts are scarce and can be quite expensive today.

Of course there is a bonus to the hobbyist of resurrecting these old tickers no doubt and I applaud you for being able to do so.

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
Picture of Gary Dutton
posted
I hear what you are saying Buster but after all the parts I have purchased I'm still in front as a good running example would have cost me another one hundred dollars so when I start to reach that amount I will 100% agree with you but its not about the money its about bringing a piece of history back to life.
I am in or of the workmanship of old pocket watches and me doing this is more for gratification than anything else.
Cheers
Gary

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Finishing a restoration like this was always one of the most rewarding moments in my watch hobby. It is almost as rewarding as rescuing an animal in trouble . . .

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
Gary,

A great looking 43.5 glass crystal is on the way. Just doing my part to help a challenging restoration become a total success!

William

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
Picture of Gary Dutton
posted
Thanks William,
I'm sure it will compliment my watch.
Cheers
Gary

Picture of Gary Dutton
posted
Hi All,
Well after some time now and a few extra parts that I stuffed up(rookie mistakes)It is running and it is working a treat.
I haven't timed it yet so that will be over the weekend.
I will post some picture of the completed project once I have timed it.
Many many thanks to Larry Crutsinger for helping me out with the many parts I needed to get it up and running again and for putting up with my constant questions.
Also to William White for the fabulous crystal, he truly did a terrific job with this crystal and for all the other ones I have gotten from him.
Cheers from Australia.
Gary

IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
Gary,

I can't wait to see the finished rescue!

William

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
Picture of Gary Dutton
posted
Hi,
Well after timing with my IPhone app it read +5 seconds a day so I think I can live with that
Not the best pictures as taken with phone but I think you get the picture.
Cheers
Gary

Picture of Gary Dutton
posted
Back

Picture of Gary Dutton
posted
Dust Cover

Picture of Gary Dutton
posted
Movement

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Beautiful work Gary, with the patience of Job and the skill of a true craftsman.

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009