Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

GSTP Bidlingmaier / Bifora......??????? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi all,

A while since I posted any of my stuff, wondering if anyone recognises the maker of this movement?

The barrel bridge is marked with a 5 pointed star, Swiss made, 3 Adjustments.
Just under the balance is a Capital letter 'B' inside a circle.

As far as I can tell, the letter (almost) ties up with the mark for the Bidlingmaier watch house which also used the name Bifora ..... But ... (there's Always a But!)!
Bidlingmaier is (was) a German company, yet the movement is Swiss, and it's GSTP marked!

The mark in the caseback is exactly the same as the Bildingmaier mark, but that on the movement has no extensions at the top and bottom of the letter - it's quite a curved letter 'B' inside a complete circle.

I fished this watch out of my 'to do' box recently, wound it up and it's running like a train almost to time.
Not bad considering how used and abused it looks.

Best regards

John

Bidlingmaier

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
Movement.

5 pointed Star, 3 Adjustments, 15j Swiss Made. Stylistic Capital 'B' inside a circle below the balance.

Appears to have a solid Gold balance and timing screws - but maybe not?

J.W.

Bidlingmaier Movement

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
Caseback.

Letter 'B' is slightly different to that on the movement, which has no 'tails' top and bottom of the letter.

Any info on the actual watch house greatly appreciated.
Most of my reference book are still packed away from a major den upheaval!

Many thanks.

John.

Caseback

posted
Nearly forgot .......... a shot of the GSTP marks!

JW.

GSTP marks

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Thanks for the good images, John.

Interesting about the possible German/Swiss link. There were Swiss companies selling watches to both sides in WWII. With any luck, someone can confirm the maker's name.

Best regards,
Greg

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
posted
Thanks for the comments Greg,

I've also just dug out another similar GSTP (but even more beat up) with a virtually identical movement and the same letter marks in the caseback.
This one doesn't have any ebauche marks other than a stylistic 'snail' engraved on the barrel bridge.
I'm sure I've seen comments on the 'snail mark' somewhere.

My wife made the wry comment that it was probably created by an anguished gardner ......... Roll Eyes Big Grin

Will post pic's later.

Best regards

John