• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Info about Hamilton torpedo-boat pocket watch "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I was wondring how rare are Hamilton Torpedo-boat watches with 21 jewels and 56 hour wind indicator are and what was there use in the US Navy I past on one a few years ago and I want to know how big of a mistake I did I just don't see them for sell any were.And it had all the boxes.

Posts: 523 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 23, 2008
Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Phillip Sanchez
posted
Mike, I would love to see a photo of one of these. Smile

Posts: 4975 | Location: North Georgia Mountains in the U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2006
posted
In the book military timepieces by Whitney they have photo's and about the movement but not a lot on what it was used for I wish I new now then when I passed on it 1000.00 you pay that for any railroad wind indicator not for something you never see on the market.I would just like to know more of the history on it even if I never own one that's one thing about this hobby of watch collecting you all way's want to learn more about it.

Posts: 523 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 23, 2008
IHC Life Member
Sergeant at Arms
Picture of Scott A. Whittey
posted

Posts: 293 | Location: California City, California USA | Registered: May 05, 2005
IHC Life Member
Sergeant at Arms
Picture of Scott A. Whittey
posted
# 213 Hamilton Model 36 36S 21J, stem wind in sterling silver OF case, 56 hr up/down s#1260161, (these started production at 1260001) DR MB adj 5 pos. The case back is engraved USSB 356. It is in the original Hamilton marked box with a silver inset plate reading: “U.S.S.B. Ship Watch No.356” and “Keep this ship watch invariably horizontal with dial up”, fine and rare example
This lot sold on November 20, 2005 for $5600

Posts: 293 | Location: California City, California USA | Registered: May 05, 2005
posted
The one I past up on I could of got it for 1000.00 I did a big goof that was about 3-4 years ago I knew then I made a mistake and that would of been a keeper.Thanks Scott for the info.

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
Wish I could find one to match the box I bought today #373 Big Grin and wish I could afford it if I found it,which i probably can't Roll Eyes

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
posted
Hi Tom,
Your box is for a Hamilton TB watch, I found this today during my web trawling Wink
Sold here;
Watch & Chronometer Auction
Saturday, April 24, 2010, 11am
TB Watch auction

{Viewing all lots from 8am}
Radisson Hotel, Ballroom-Salon B
700 Elm St at Granite St Manchester, NH 03101 (603) 625-1000

77. Hamilton Watch Co. "Torpedo Boat Watch" Model 36 with 56-hour wind indicator 36S 21J stem wind and pin-set DMK NI mvt with lever escapement, 5 positions adj, motor barrel, double roller and gold jewel settings with original silvered AN metal dial in original CWCCo heavy sterling silver OF case with "USSB 356" set inside ringed pattern engraved on outside of rear case cover, s#1260161 69mm including original mahogany carry case inset with silvered plaque engraved "USSB SHIP WATCH No. 356 Keep this ship watch invariably horizontal with dial up". ***Condition: GRO (winds, sets and ticks with good motion) upper plates have two minor scratches near perimeter and light microfine scratches and the dial plate has some minor oxidation under the balance, both plates otherwise very bright. The dial is in fantastic condition and all original with no spotting and only light discoloration near 4 and 5. The original heavy gauge case shows only light wear with no dents or dings and virtually no tarnish (nicely patinated), engraving still fully visible; bow & crown show in excellent condition, good glass crystal with no chips or cracks, matching mahogany box missing key but otherwise as near mint as the rest of this "9 out of 10" watch. $3000-$4500

My WWW collection is now complete, time to look for new ventures!

Posts: 699 | Location: Hannover in Germany | Registered: July 23, 2009