• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Info I found on British military watches "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I found this thought I would post it info on British armed forces watches 1870-1970 here the web page.
http://www.kilocycles.co.uk/photos/watch.htm

Posts: 523 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 23, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Mike, I have this panel clock that my Dad recovered with permission from a Spitfire which was pretty beat up and in need of considerable repair in 1942 (He was "on loan" to teach "jungle survival" [i.e. what was edible] to pilots). It has been serviced twice since then, once for my dad in about 1948, and again for me in about 1987. It still runs, but is due for a cleaning and timing again.

I matched it up frame for frame with a Phillips print that illustrates that period.

It always seemed to me to be an example of of "taking what comes" to put a LeCoultre Movement in a Longines Case, but at the time, I am sure it completed its duty.

Let me know if these things were described in your book when it comes.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Nice cockpit clock got the book the other day only a small section on air craft clock's they have a few wall and mantle clock for the RAF and only two aircraft clocks for the RAF one is realy cool it also Jaeger Le Coultre known as a time trip chronogragh cir 1939 it also went into spitfires has two time zone's and a fly back center second hand.It also has a few German and one US aircraft clock from WW2.I wish it had yours in there but it did not thre is another book out there I think Greg got a copy I thought I saw that in another post that one might have it in it.Here is what the book I just got has not only English but US,Germany,USSR,Japan.Has the most info on watches.From deck watches & pocket watches,wristlets-wrist watches,aviators wrists watches,stop watches & chrographs,special forces & diver watches and a lot of info.Photo's are black and white the book a total of 191 pages.But there is more on the English military.

Posts: 523 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 23, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Mike, My dad told me that during the 1942 period the British were stuffing just about anything that worked into anything they needed, as far as what was "specified" such as something as nice as a chronometer and dual time zone panel clock, I think of the actual operating range (about 500 miles combat radius on a cold day) of a Spitfire and doubt seriously a dual time zone did much for them as they could not go that far.
Still, I believe it is one of the most beautiful aricraft ever built.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007