Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

The "IRON TIME" watch chains of 1916 "Click" to Login or Register 
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
By 1916, Germany settled in for a longer costlier war than anyone imagined when the war began in 1914. 1916 was also the year Germany replaced the fancy spike helmet with the more heavy steel helmet to protect the troops in the trenches from head wounds.

It was also in 1916 that the German Government appealed to loyal Germans to donate their gold jewelry to the war effort. This campaign was called the “Iron Time” by the German Government. Various items were given in exchange for gold, such as iron wedding rings, iron medallions, and iron watch chains.

Here we have an example of an Iron Time watch chain for men and an example of the Iron Time watch chain for women. All of the gold for iron watch chains I have seen so far have been dated 1916.

Posts: 1983 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
On the back of the center section of the above watch chain, the link with the Imperial Eagle, are the words:

“in eiserner zeit 1916" = in iron time 1916

on the two pierced links:

“gold zur wehr” = gold to the resistance
“eisen zur ehr” = iron to honor

Posts: 1983 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Here we have a woman’s iron watch chain. The slide is marked, “eiserner zeit 1916.”

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
A close up of the woman’s "Iron Time" watch chain slide. The back of the slide has a small maker’s mark composed of the letters KJ with an arrow through them. The slide is about 11/16ths (17mm) across.

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
An American made variation?

A watch fob made to appeal to Germans living in the U.S.A. during WWI. Perhaps made around 1916 like the German made chains? As we know, the next year, 1917, the United States went to war against Germany and using a fob like this would not have been advisable.

The best I can do with the translation:
"Faithful to my fatherland, I consecrate iron for gold"

The back is marked: "The Whitehead & Hoag Co. Newark, N.J."

Best regards,
Greg