Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

4992B Serial Number? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Steven D. Jencso
posted
The serial number of this 4992B is 4C4177. Can anyone tell me what year this watch dates to.

Thanks in advance,
-Steve

Posts: 266 | Location: Dover, New Hampshire U.S.A. | Registered: February 14, 2005
posted
i can tell you 4C30922 was shipped in july 1943, so one would assume it would be after this...

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Steven,

Serial Number 4C4177 is from 1942 production ( I have 4C4971 ) and I'll go out on a limb and say that if you want a worthwhile, credible example the one you pointed to may well be it. The "U.S. GOV'T movement marking is desirable and the case has all the correct 1942 ordnance markings. I do not see the $375.00 for "Buy-It-Now" price as being at all out of line based upon condition.

There's none of that smoke and mirrors or "minty" foolishness in the auction, the seller (who by the way is not known to me) has a very straight-forward presentation, they take PayPal and have 100% feedback, all pluses.

Looks like a winner all the way,

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Lindell,

Thanks for the insite, unfortunately someone beat me to it :-(

Is there anyway to decode the serial no. on the back of the case? In this one it is AC-42-3379.

-Steve

Posts: 266 | Location: Dover, New Hampshire U.S.A. | Registered: February 14, 2005
posted
sorrry i misread the number............
was reading at 41,000

what is the contract number? and any other markings on back?

went to the auction ...

contract number W535 ac 22375 ...

Is a 1942 contract, but i have not found the details of the contract...

have a listing for 3040 movements shipped to Patterson Field in Osborn Ohio @ $29.45 each, and another listing for 755 movements at the same price to Fairfield Airport in the same town....

I believe the 3379 to be the sequence number of the watch in this contract....

IHC President
Life Member
posted

I get those numbers confused all the time Terry. Roll Eyes

Glad to see I'm not alone. Big Grin

Steven, as Terry correctly pointed out, that is a 1942 contract, the "42" is the year it was entered into.

Looks like someone snagged a nice buy from a sincere seller. In my opinion that auction is an outstanding example more sellers should follow. I would also like to see an image of "bezel-off" and inside case-back along with close-up of bow and crown area. Some sellers overdo the number of pictures which causes confusion and others turn up the brightness to conceal the details, beware of that practice.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
The markings on the back are:

AN 5740
MFR'S PART NO. 4992B
SERIAL NO. AC-42-3379
CONTRACT NO.
W535 ac-22375
HAMILTON WATCH CO

It would be interesting to learn how to decode these markings.

_Steve

PS - I see that Terry added information above

posted
i have not figured out the contracts quite yet....

in scanning them, there are more 800 silver cases than one may think...

posted
Does anyone know the approximate range of serial numbers for movements marked "US Govt"?

posted
Eh..... confession time.

I "snagged" that one Steven. I had lost a couple of them... that said "US Govt" on the movement and I was determined to get one. I wasn't aware of the date-thing. Sorry.

If it was your burning-desire to acquire that one or you need it to complete a collection, let me know. We can talk....

Again, sorry.

Posts: 986 | Location: Flagstaff, Arizona USA | Registered: June 19, 2005
posted
Ah-Ha, so you're the bandit Peter! Wink We seem to have similar interests in watches Big Grin

I've actually decided on a couple of Hamilton's that I want to add to my collection and the 4992B is one of them. I'll keep looking for the next one.

You mentioned that you've lost a couple that were marked US Govt. Do you remember what they sold for? This will help me understand the current market pricing.

-Steve

posted
I had not researched the 4992B for the marking US Govt ....

Do y'all have a serial number range where they are not marked?

I have info on 992B movements so marked...

posted
Terry,

I don't have 4992B serial numbers for movements that are not marked.

If you have serial number info on 992B movements with US govt markings, could you please post the info. Are there different markings besides US Govt?

When you collected the information on 992B's, what additional information did you collect besides the markings and serial number?

Thanks,
-Steve

posted
markings i have seen are US Army and US Govt

The US Army are early.... and seemingly scarce...lowest serial number C4849.. highest C10832 .. they seem to be spread out in production..

i have 8 examples recorded in this range.

The US GOVT marking is more common, and there are examples beginning at C40073 with C114112 being the highest..

they are not concentrated in a certain range, but a decent spread thru the serial number ranges... there is not enough info to determine definite serial number blocks.... i have listed 55 examples so far with more to add.

i have been recording what type of case they are in .... MANY HAVE BEEN RECASED IN NON MILITARY CASES ......... and the type of dial.... MANY HAVE HAD THE DIAL CHANGED......

(caps for emphasis)....

posted
Steve.... again my apologies. I wasn't aware that you were discussing it until after I grabbed it.

I don't remember how much others went for but... I seem to recall that the one I bid on went for well over $400.00 and there was "something" wrong about it.... case???

Posts: 986 | Location: Flagstaff, Arizona USA | Registered: June 19, 2005
posted
Peter, there's nothing to apologize for. These things happen and at least it went to someone I know Cool It looks like it's a nice watch for your collection.

posted
I've seen some 4992B's with a white 12 hr dial, seconds numbering, and a sweep second hand.
This one in particular has the U.S. Govt marking on the movement.

Were the 12-hr dials ever used by the gov't or would this have been converted for civilian use?

In the past I have seen a 4992B 'conversion kit' to allow a 24-hr movement to be converted to a 12-hr movement.

-Steve

IHC President
Life Member
posted

Although I have a few 4992B examples in my collection my radar is always on the lookout for a nice one. At this point I buy nicer in order to replace lesser examples. The one Steve pointed to yesterday is the nicest I've seen offered in quite some time. Congratulations to Peter on adding it to his collection.

More about these...

Far as I know the most uncommon 4992B are those marked "U.S. Army Air Corps." the branch of service that later became the U.S. Air Force. Some time back we discussed the nicest example I've ever seen. This topic contains some interesting information from Terry and other contributors...

TOPIC: "U.S Army Air Corps" Marked Hamilton 4992B"

Our friend Chris Abell found that "box and papers" set shown in the topic above just as you see it. One day Chris and I were talking about a watch deal on the phone and Chris offered to sell this magnificent example. Today I'm proud to be the caretaker of this beauty.

For additional 4992B information of interest I recommend this link...

FIND OR SEARCH: "4992B" in "Military Timepieces Discussions - EXCLUSIVE!"

WWII era timepieces from Hamilton and others are understandably close to our hearts. If you find these watches of interest as I do, spend some time and read up on them!

One final comment. In my opinion had it not been for the extraordinary contributions to the World War II effort by American industry the outcome might have been very different. Few today are aware that the Russian Army took Berlin equipped with heavy duty Studebaker trucks built in South Bend, Indiana U.S.A. and the list goes on.

Frankly, I question whether such a gearing-up to preserve our way of life and all we so casually take for granted such as took place during WWII would even be possible today!

Think about it for just a moment.

posted
What is the approximate price premium that the "U.S. Govt" marking adds to the 4992B?

-Steve

Picture of Bob Kapinos
posted
Here are some pictures of the 4992B I recently purchased. This is my first post as I just joined your chapter yesterday. I would appreciate any comments you may have regarding this watch. It's serial number is 4C19646 and is marked U S Government. I purchased The watch from Larry Jones http://www.larjones.com/data/pwgnrl.htm. He has some nice watches and is good to deal with. The watch is keeping perfect time.

Bob

Posts: 183 | Location: Ona, West Virginia USA | Registered: May 01, 2005
IHC President
Life Member
posted

Welcome Bob!

It's nice to see this interesting topic again and to see your exceptionally nice 4992B up close. Rarely do we see the ordnance numbers as sharp as yours is. Since these silver cases were soft many of them developed deep scratches and all too often the details are polished away along with the scratches.

Take care of this one my friend.

Lindell

Wink

Picture of Clyde Roper
posted
Bob,

That is indeed a very nice looking 4992B! Like Lindell said in an earlier post, these watches are special to many of us for the reasons he mentioned...real pieces of American history on several different levels.

I've been reading all the old threads on the 4992B for a couple of months now to educate myself before buying my first example. Being "into" Hamiltons as well as military history and timepieces, I find these watches particularly interesting. Smile

Posts: 203 | Location: North Carolina in the USA | Registered: December 05, 2006