Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton Marine Chronometer Dial "Click" to Login or Register 
Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
Picture of William J. Hansen, Ph.D.
posted
Greetings,

I found this in a recent garage sale. It is a very large Hamilton dial that I can only guess is a Hamilton Marine Chronometer dial. The dial is as pictured. It has no feet on the back of the dial. I'm not sure what this means or doesn't mean. It is what it is. There are no usual dial feet, but there are several holes around the ouside of the dial. I've never seen this before. I've posted photographs of this dial. Please, if you will, tell me if this is something or something odd, or something worthless. I just don't know anything about This kind of thing.

Regards.

WJH

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Posts: 813 | Location: Cincinnati, Ohio USA | Registered: January 22, 2003
Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
posted

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
posted

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
posted

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
posted

Look at the back? What are the odd looking holes around the dial? Does this make sense?

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Picture of Matthew E. Sutton
posted
Military specification called for a Arabic numeral dial, so it must have been a civilian watch or clock.

Posts: 495 | Location: Kailua, Hawaii in the USA | Registered: March 14, 2005
IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
Hey Bill going by memory on a chronometer I just sold it seem that the holes at the 3 & 9 were screws that held the dial on and the other holes were for the pins on the case that went throught the movement and dial. I tired to pull up a picture of the one I just sold a while back but I have tens thousands of pictures of items I have sold and it was lost in the realm of pictures. I am sure someone in here is more familiar with them but I remember specifically pulling movement out and then had to get it to line up on the pins and slide it down to where it was held straight. If I come across the picture I will post it.

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
IHC Life Member
posted
Here is another one I sold that had the 3 holes that slid on pins to line up.

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
IHC Life Member
posted
Here is one that I sold that has the 3 holes for screwing down the dial but has a slot to fit into the case. I still have not found the other picture I was wanting.

IHC Life Member
posted
Picture of one of the pins that the movement slid on in the first example (Frodsham).

Picture of Matthew E. Sutton
posted
So, what type of Hamilton would this have been? Pre-WW II? Perhaps?

Posts: 495 | Location: Kailua, Hawaii in the USA | Registered: March 14, 2005