• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Chronometer serial number assignment "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
In reading through Tony Mercer’s book “Chronometer makers of the World”, he indicates that it took anywhere from six months to a year to manufacture and assemble a Mercer Chronometer. He also indicates that beginnings in 1914 serial numbers were assigned sequentially instead of in the “block” manner as sometimes done in previous years. My question is does anyone know whether a serial number was assigned at the beginning of the mfg process (say upon receipt of an order) or when the chronometer was completed? For most historical periods it would be insignificant; however, it may make a difference in collectability or uniqueness if it was produced during extraordinary periods, such as during WWI or WWII.

Posts: 88 | Location: Brunswick, Georgia in the USA | Registered: February 13, 2011
posted
Why would it take up to a year? I am not arguing what Mercer says, I would just like to have a better idea of what it takes to build a chronometer. That is about 2,100 hours of worktime assuming 8 hour days working only 5 days a week for a year.

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
posted
The serial numbers were assigned during the early part of construction, as some of the various pieces that were assembled had the serial stamped on it early. Most were built not upon order, but as a normal course of business. Keep in mind that Mercer provided movements to many different nautical suppliers who put their name on the dial, so there was no shortage of demand.

As for collectability of these items, it doesn't really matter, these items are so unique whether it was one year or another. Be glad to have one. As for the ones during the Wars, you'd want to look for military markings, which would distinguish it from run-of the mill commercial chronometers.

Why would it take a year? Almost all of that time is really spent in rating the chronometer and adjusting the timing. It was actually only a short period of time to assemble and fit the parts together, where many of the parts came from many different suppliers (at least in the 1800's/early 1900's).

Posts: 102 | Location: Houston, Texas in the USA | Registered: September 26, 2009
posted
Michael,

Thanks for the info.I have a late 19th century marine chronometer, but would like to find a WWII Mercer or (if I win the lottery, a Louis Nardin from the war years). I have noticed quite a variance in box design and quality of the chronometers, but have assumed all "certified chronometers" from a given maker were built to the same standard. To your knowledge, were Mercer (or other prominent named) chronometers destined for military use, manfactured to a higher standard or with more care than run-of-the-mill commercial ones?

Thanks,

Mason

Posts: 88 | Location: Brunswick, Georgia in the USA | Registered: February 13, 2011
posted
Walter,

As for the actual movements, they are all the same with respect to the movement quality. The only difference that you might see on the movement and dials between the commercial and military ones would be the Admiralty punch (or other mark) indicating ownership. Other than that, all the parts are of the same quality, fit, and finish.

As you mention, where you do find some differences is related to the quality of the box. In some cases the commercial boxes were nicer, some with rosewood construction and inlaid brass striping (known as "fancy"). This is in comparison to the normal box with strapped brass corners and standard construction. Even these "plain" boxes were of good quality.

What I've noticed however is that the Wempe and Lagne boxes from the early 1900's appear to be a bit more spartan on the construction. For example, many of these did not have the top lid, did not have a lot of brasswork (outside the gimbals), had wooden finger handles and the joinery was just not as nice. In some respects, that makes them unique and desirable. I do like the beveled glass they all used.

Good luck on your search for a war period Mercer, I don't see a lot of these come up for sale. As for me, I'm in the hunt for some early 1800's English pieces and still searching for that elusive 8 day Kullberg that is missing from my collection.

Michael

Posts: 102 | Location: Houston, Texas in the USA | Registered: September 26, 2009
posted
As mentioned earlier, I have a boxed chronometer made around 1875. It is missing the key that locks the portion that houses the chronometer. Many of the brass fittings on these chronometers look as though they may have come from a common source (or small number of sources). are there current sources you are aware of where I might find a correct replacement key? Looking through antique malls has not been very succesful.

Mason

Box front

posted
Walter,

You should contact Gary Sellick at Ship's Clock Cabinetry shipsclock.com he should have this item for you with no problem.

Michael

posted
Outstanding! I give him a try today.

Thanks,

Mason

posted
The brass fittings seem to be identical to what you commonly see on furniture of the era. My guess is the box makers likely bought from the same brass fittings sellers that the furniture makers bought from. I suppose that it is also possible that in some situations (many?) the clock makers simply put in an order to a furniture making company to make up these boxes for them as wood working is a separate skill from clock making?

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
posted
Jim,

During this time period in chronometer making, almost all Makers bought their boxes from the same suppliers. these box suppliers (I don't have my reference material with me, so I won't supply a name) usually had a few designs that they were tooled for, this is why you'll see many of the boxes looking exactly the same, usually only very minor differences.

The same is true for other parts of the chronometer, there were cottage industries that produced many of the parts (Prescot for the basic movement comes to mind), some finishers, some wheel cutters, some dial "guys", etc..... This was all a very specialized niche where there were many many players.

This changed as we got into the 20th century, especially near WWII. You'd start to see Mercer having their own style, Hamilton with their own (Regent and Seth Thomas) and Lagne with their own local supply for boxes, that's when the basic design of the last boxes started to diverge from the "traditional" boxes. If you go back and look at the boxes being supplied around 1800 to 1830, they are all very similar, from 1840-1920, pretty much the same, etc.......

Could a furniture maker make these? Sure, but why when you have good suppliers already that are tooled and have all the brass components ready to go....