• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Latest acquisition "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Military related, not necessarily issued, but popular with pilots during the war. Waiting for it to get here still, so pics from seller. My first complicated chronograph. Venus 178

Tim

Posts: 29 | Location: Milton, Ontario in Canada | Registered: May 23, 2006
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Cool watch, Tim. What vintage would it be?

Also a popular type of watch for artillery officers to aid in locating the distance of enemy guns.

But Beware the chronograph. Next thing you know, you will be working on one with a copy of DeCarles COMPLICATED WATCHES open on your bench!!!

Best regards,
Greg

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
posted
hehe, thanks Greg! 1940ies for this one. I hope it is sitting in the mail box for when I get home today. I'd be afraid to work on that movement most likely. Smile

Tim

posted
The movements in these always boggle my mind. The company in Switzerland that made these movements for Benrus must have had some exceptionally talented workers who came up with the design and who could actually make these.

I had always heard that the Sky Chiefs were from the 1950s but you mention that yours is from the 1940s. Do you know what year Benrus first started selling the Sky Chief model and/or when they stopped marketing it?

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
posted
Hi Jim, not fully sure start/end production of them. Going by the seller's info, which is the owner purchased it prior to fighting in WW2. I imagine these were not produced much further into the 1950ies.

Tim