WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Welcome Aboard IHC185™     Internet Horology Club 185    IHC185™ Discussion Site Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Horological Discussions, Questions and Answers  Hop To Forums  Military Timepiece Discussions - EXCLUSIVE!    Was it a big mistake to buy these 60's Era US military watches? (are they fakes?)
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Was it a big mistake to buy these 60's Era US military watches? (are they fakes?) "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi,

I recently bought what I believe (what I had believed that is) to be a couple 60's era US military watches. I don't know a lot about watches of the era, but I like the style and I knew when I bought them that I had seen ones in good condition go for much more. Anyway, I think they came recently from Vietnam and somebody I communicated with said they would not buy a watch from Vietnam because of all the fake stuff made there. I have not received or payed for the watches yet. The seller says on the listing that I can get my money back if not satisfied, so I figure I may still go through with the deal and if the watches turn out to be fakes I can return them and get back my money minus shipping, but I would like the advice of experienced members here before going farther. Below is a link and pictures from the Ebay listing, see what you think--advice is appreciated.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWNX:IT#rpdId

Posts: 15 | Location: Northern Arkansas in the USA | Registered: September 30, 2009
posted
One thing you want to do is do your home work.There is a book called military timepicies by Whitney and the net is a good place to look for info and military watch forums.And never buy from Vietnam nothing but fake's come out of there.And that watch don't look right wrong hands the case looks like a Bulova case so it's a miss match of parts.Do you know what movements in that watch.

Posts: 523 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 23, 2008
posted
Hi,

Thanks for the information on the book. I've been trying to find out more about what sometimes seems like an obscure subject.

I do not know what movement is in the watch. I'll tell you what is really confusing me--everybody(I have posted this same thread on several different forums, because I get more input that way) says that the hands/ dial etc. are wrong. If they are, why do I see so many watches from the era that look exactly the same?(hands that resemble WWII Waltham style) Do all the counterfeiters make the same mistakes? Or are the watches put together with Sixties era cases (a17a Mil-W-3818 style) and hands from some other watch brand. Can somebody explain? Here is another watch of the style, they are out there:

Posts: 15 | Location: Northern Arkansas in the USA | Registered: September 30, 2009
posted
See Bulova used that style hands and case in the 1950's Elgin did not.

Posts: 523 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 23, 2008
posted
I do remember that WWII Bulova A-11's used that ladder style seconds/minutes on the dial, where as Elgins did not. So putting it up to Elgin styling history it is inconsistent. That alone should be a heads up I guess.

So the question for me is, are the watches I bought totally new made fakes, or are they a mix of old parts? I like how they look, and if they had quality movements and parts from the era I think I would still like to keep at least one of them for a user watch.

posted
I saw that you posted at the MWR forum they have a PX scott mccoy sells a few WW2 watches over there they will be serviced so you can use them they will have the correct parts and there are a few others sellers that I saw with some nice stuff none of them sell put together stuff you can pm Scott over there or put a WTB ad in the PX.That way you don't get took.Remember a good watch is not cheap.

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
the eBay listing is already dead !!! Big Grin

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
posted
Well Thanks folks. I am trying to cancel the transaction--since I haven't payed yet I don't think it will be a big problem as long as the seller doesn't make a big stink.

I have heard of Scott McCoy. I wonder if he has a nice Bulova A17A or Mil-W-3818A for sale. I have been wanting one for some time--I'll have to drop him a line.

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
You'll be immensely helped in that attempt by the fact that eBay now prevents sellers from giving buyers negative feedback,the eBay wisdom is that all sellers are probably evil and corrupt and all buyers are like the angels of the Lord Roll Eyes Wink

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009