Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton Model 22 "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hello everybody!

Today I want to post some pics of my Hamilton Mod. 22. Such a beautiful watch!

Engravings on the caseback are:
CHRONOMETER WATCH
MFR'S PART. NO. 37615
SERIAL NO. AF/45 - D - 1061
P.O. NO. (33-038)45 - 13085 - AF
HAMILTON WATCH COMPANY

The engraving on the inside of the caseback says "Keystone Base Metal 209598".

Here the first glance at the movement.

The watch is in good working condition. The movement's number is 2F 25249.

Engravings on the movement:

Engravings on the caseback:

I hope you like it.

Best regards
Gerd

Posts: 50 | Location: Vienna in Austria | Registered: December 17, 2008
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of John J. Flahive III
posted
Gerd,

Very nice. Looks like new! I really like the feel of these 35 size watches in the hand. Thanks for sharing.

BTW: How did you post so many pictures in one message?

John III

Posts: 1755 | Location: Colorado in the USA | Registered: October 17, 2005
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Hi Gerd

I want one of those watches, that is a nice looking one. I keep bidding on them but always lose at the end. I have yet to actually see one of those in person.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
John III,

you are absolutely right, this is an amazing timepiece indeed, it really looks like new and it works without problems.

To post pitctures that way is as simple as that:

1.) pictures are uploaded to photobucket or similar photo storage service on internet
2.) simply copy the IMG code of the picture you want to post and paste it directly into the popup window, where you write your posting.

That's it.

Regards
Gerd

posted
Hi Tom,

I discovered this watch about two weeks ago peacefully sleeping in the collection of my father. I didn't even know that he owned such a timepiece.

This watch is very impressive and I really hope that you too will hold one of those in your hands sometimes!

Regards
Gerd

posted
What size is it?

Is there a civilian equivalent?

Posts: 148 | Location: Seattle, Washington in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2008
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Hi Robert

Gerd's nice Model 22 is a size 35, if you have the new price guide it is shown on page 233.

I do not believe there is a civilian model, these were made by Hamilton during & after WWII, they were designed to run for 56 hours for one winding. Most more used aboard ships.

Tom

posted
Tom do you think they did a mistake in the price guide I do find them time to time the hamilton torpedo watch ran for 56 hours it was a size 36 if you have a copy of the military timepieces by whitney it's on page 385.I dont have the new copy I got a 2006 copy of the price guide in mine it has the right info did they do a change in the new one and it was right in the first place ?

Posts: 523 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 23, 2008
posted
I was interesting in figuring out the date this was made and tried looking up the serial number on several Hamilton serial number listings around the web and could not find any series starting with 2F. I found listings for 2B or just F and various other number and letter combinations, but no 2F. Does anyone know of a full listing being posted somewhere? Also, is there a reason why a Navy marked movement would be in an Air Force marked case?

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
I don't know enough about these to give any great answers, I have never even touched one before. Looking at older post on this site there is mention that these were also issuied to the other armed forces when new so I would guess they would have had their markings on the case.

If you aearch Hamilton Model 22 there are a numerous posts.

Tom

posted
Hello Jim,

look at the Mod 22 John III posted some time ago.

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/990103944/m/3431081112

You'll see another movement's number beginning with 2F, and if the caseback engraving's "AF"-numbers are Air Force-related, then you have the same combination, US-Navy marked movement, Air Force-marked case. Maybe some Mod 22s were issued to the Air Force? I don't know either.

Regards
Gerd

posted
Thanks. I'm still puzzled as to why there are no 2F prefixes in any of the published lists of Hamilton serial numbers and prefix codes that I have been able to find. The only prefixes I have been able to find in listings of Hamilton watches so far are A, 1A, 1E, 1F, 1H, 1B, 2B, C, 2C, 3C, 4C, CY, G, H, HW, J, K, 2K, M, S, SS, W, and Y.

Picture of Matthew E. Sutton
posted
Hamilton sold 420 of these to the Army Air force. In 1948 the Navy no longer used the non-gimbled version. According to Marvin Whitney's, the Marine Chronometer, those watches purched by the U.S. Transportation Corps had "U.S. Army" engraved on the back and a serial number with a prefix of "2F". The Army sourced these from both Hamilton and also from the Bureau of Ships. The Army milled off the markings on the back and replaced it with U.S. Army. Yours looks like a contract from Hamilton.
Whitney's Military timepieces book says 420 from Hamilton, but his Ship's Chronometer says 500 contracted. Either way, you have a rare one.

Posts: 495 | Location: Kailua, Hawaii in the USA | Registered: March 14, 2005
posted
Matthew,

thanks a lot for this very interesting information. Can you tell if these watches were built during or after WWII?

Best regards
Gerd

posted
Thanks Matthew. In your post you say that the backs are marked U.S. Army. Is that a typo or would that mean that the back on the one pictured may not be correct or that Whitney's information may not be correct?

posted
I took the information word for word out of Whitney's. Also, on page 396 of Whitney's military timepieces, it shows an image of both the Navy back engraving and the milled U.S. Army. Yours is consistant with an U.S. Air force example similar to the 4992B master navigation watches. What is odd, is that my personal Model 22, and all the images in Whitney's show a "2F" serial number. I don't understand why Whitney indicated that it was Air Force.
It also goes on to say that the following numbers were manufactured total:

2,627 under a 1941 contract
5,153 under a 1942 contract
2,000 under a second 1942 contract
9,780 In total

Both images of a movement in Whitney's shows a "2F" serial number and a "U.S. Navy Bu. Ships -1942" on the movement.

IHC Life Member
Sergeant at Arms
Picture of Scott A. Whittey
posted

Posts: 293 | Location: California City, California USA | Registered: May 05, 2005
posted
It looks Ok, but I'm not impressed about its daily rate...not at all. One of the significant revolutionary features of the Model 22 was the extra long, 60 inch length of the mainspring which greatly reduced isochronism. I would questio where he was able to find a 60" non-breakable mainspring fully compatible as a replacement. Without a 60", the watch will run fine, but will not have one of the unique design features of the original watch.

posted
Here is a very nice one on Ebay, but the price is not reasonable.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageNam...IT&item=310117202830

It looks like it came right out of the factory.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of John J. Flahive III
posted
Just a reminder gentlemen that we only discuss the good, bad and ugly of ebay items in the Pitfalls area.

Thanks,

John III

Posts: 1755 | Location: Colorado in the USA | Registered: October 17, 2005
posted
Here is another example of the Air Force issued watch. It differs from the Navy issue in a couple ways.

The AF issued watch had this setting plaque on the box.

Posts: 41 | Location: Kansas City, Kansas in the USA | Registered: January 01, 2008
posted
Then, the box had a different latch mechanism.

Posts: 41 | Location: Kansas City, Kansas in the USA | Registered: January 01, 2008