Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

What did it go on Chelsea clock US Navy "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
I just bought this clock. What would this been on in the Navy.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
posted
These were used mostly on ships but they were also used on shore installations. Navy aircraft clocks are smaller and have cases that are designed to fit into an instrument panel.

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
posted
A modified version was used as the time source for the DRT , Dead Reckoning Track used in Combat Information Center to track, contact and execute anti-submarine warfare.

Posts: 86 | Location: Florida in the USA | Registered: April 23, 2012
IHC Member 1736
posted
Gene,

Mike Hodge was kind enough to forward me this link. http://www.chelseaclock.com/bl...art-two#comment-7879

If you open this link, provide them with the serial number from the back of the movement, they will be able to tell you when and to whom the clock was sold. This will date the clock for you and generally identify the ship builder.

To find out which ship... You will need to run the serial number on the dial through Naval Archive Records... This number on the front of the clock is a Navy assigned stock control number and can be traced to the ship it was assigned to. I have not figured out how to do this part yet.

My Chelsea clocks and a couple Seth Thomas ships clocks are under this post. https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...6029761/m/7913989387

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012