Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waltham Military Movement 1943? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi All,

Another of my 'Mil's, this time a Waltham movement, dial & hands awaiting attention!

The dial has lost some of the white paint underlying the lume, anyone know what paint was used, or what would be a suitable alternative to take a water based lume (Bergeon)?

I'm assuming the White was used to make the lume stand out more, as it's totally obliterated where the old lume remains.

The dial otherwise, is in great shape - no cracks / hairlines etc.

The movement itself needs attention, as it has a broken staff and mainspring, but looks to be very clean and complete (came to me as a bag of bits, but everything seems to be there!).

Does anyone have any ideas which material case this would likely have been fitted in?
ie: Nickel, Gunmetal etc, I'm assuming it would have been an open face type.

Could it have been a GSTP or GS-MK11 type issue, or would it more likely have been assigned to US forces.
I'm assuming with a 1943 era serial number, it would have seen WW11 service somewhere?

Best regards

John

Waltham Dial

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
Movement loosely assembled for the photo call!

Needs a staff and mainspring!

John

Waltham Movement

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Hi John,

These are found in nickle plated brass cases. Most of them were issued by the Royal Navy, and will be found with the small "chubby" broad arrow on the back, as well as various other markings. They may have been issued to land forces as well.

Here is a write-up regarding two similar 9 jewel Waltham pocket watches:

Two Royal Navy Walthams

Best regards,
Greg

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
Picture of Clyde Roper
posted
Greg,

I read the older thread on the Walthams in the Royal Navy and that was just great.

Smile

Posts: 203 | Location: North Carolina in the USA | Registered: December 05, 2006
posted
Hi Greg,
Thanks for the information and the link to the Waltham thread - nice watches BTW!.
I don't think I'll be able to turn any cases like those up - but who knows, it'll be a while yet before the movement gets done anyway.

I've got quite a few empty nickel cases here, but nothing this movement will fit unfortunately!

John