Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

4992b date of mfg "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
I have a 4992b with a serial # of 4C143714 and would like to find the date of mfg.
Thanks

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
IHC Life Member
posted
4992B

Movement Serial Number:4C143714
Estimated Production Year: 1960
Run Quantity: 10000
Size: 16s
Jewels: 22j
Movement Configuration: Openface
Movement Finish: Nickel
Model: 5
Movement Setting: Pendant
Plate: Unknown Plate
Adjusted: Yes
Adjusted to Positions: 6
Railroad Grade: No

Posts: 995 | Location: Pleasanton, California in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2012
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Thanks Evan, a Vietnam era watch!

posted
Defining the Vietnam war era is really tricky. One can argue the war began on October 27, 1932 when the U.S. first formed the Military Assistance Advisory Group in Saigon to support the French army there. There are other dates in between as the U.S. involvement escalated with key events, but my personal opinion is that the U.S. war in Vietnam started on March 8, 1965 when the first U.S. combat troops arrived to join the military advisors had been there since 1955. Its ending date is also kind of vague. Some people say 1973 when regular U.S. troop involvement ended, and some say 1975 when Saigon fell.

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Jim, I define it by the 2 tours I spent there Wink

IHC Life Member
posted
quote:
Jim, I define it by the 2 tours I spent there

sounds like you've got a credible definition to me! My deepest thanks for your service.

Posts: 995 | Location: Pleasanton, California in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2012
IHC Member 1357
posted
As well I do too,ED.
Regards
Roger

Posts: 4092 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
posted
That's as good a definition as mine, and let me add my thanks to you for your service. Big Grin

Have you had a chance to go back since then? The last time I was there was about two years ago and when you talk to the older people it seems like it is still going on in their minds. They have several museums dedicated to the subject and all seem to be from the perspective of how they drove out the evil French and then the evil Americans (as it has always been everywhere in the world the victors get to write the history books). At the same time, though, learning English is mandatory for most every school child so it is a place of many conflicting perspectives on the US.

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Jim, my brother and I have spoken about going back a few times over the years. I do not believe it is going to happen. He is having agent orange related problems and I do not believe he is in any condition to travel like that.
In retrospect we should have been more serious about it years ago.