IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Wow, the legendary Model SJ!

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
posted
Is this a low serial number????

Posts: 74 | Location: Redondo Beach, California USA | Registered: July 12, 2006
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

The closest I might ever get to owning a Duesenberg would be owning the clock.

That is a "height-of-cool" item!

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
That looks like a very nicely made auto clock. My first thought, though, is to wonder whether this particular model was used exclusively on Duisenbergs. Most auto clocks were fairly generic and used by a number of different manufacturers and were also often sold as aftermarket accessories to anyone who wanted to put one in their auto. Frequently the automobile clocks of the 20s and later that were standard factory installed equipment in specific cars had their dials marked by the manufacturers such as Rolls Royce, Pierce Arrow, Pontiac, etc. Unless there is some information that this particular style of automobile clock was made exclusively for the Duisinberg company I would hesitate at this time to say that this is definitely from a Duisenberg.

My other concern is that it looks really nice, but the seller seems to be saying that it has had some substantial remanufacturing to make it look so nice. This is great for some collectors, but I am one of those collectors who prefer original timepieces with conservation rather than restoration. That is only a personal thing though.

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
IHC Life Member
posted
Perry
Beautiful pictures of beautiful automobiles! I assume you know the difference between a car and an automobile? A car is something to transport you from A to B in a reasonable comfort. An automobile on the other hand is a vehicle you drive and care fore with utmost love and affection. Such as those in the picture.
Regards, Krister.

Posts: 375 | Location: Backaryd, Sweden | Registered: April 19, 2009
posted
I agree on restoration being with battle-scars.

This is why the dial was not restored.

I also heard that these clocks were used in an aircraft called a Stinson Gullwing and Stagger Wing.

The Duesenbergs did not have their names on the dials like the Rolls Royce.

The Clock came out of a box of aircraft guages from the Chino Airport. I found it in an old cockpit canopy being used as a display case in an antique car warehouse, which also had a Duesenberg.

So it could have been out of a Stinson Aircraft or a Duesenberg.

The Duesenbergs running are all restored to like new condition. Jay Leno has a few of them.

I had it posted on Ebay because it belongs in a Duesenberg or a Stinson.

Rare Clocks like these need to be in service.

I would love to see it find its way back home.

On a side not I was in another car warehouse today and saw a prestine Duesenberg with the wrong Clock. I told the owner I had the correct one listed on Ebay for $599. I figure that is more than a fair price.

I like the forums because they are saving history and our roots to the past.

All comment are welcome. I am just in this horology sub culture to learn.

V/R

Posts: 74 | Location: Redondo Beach, California USA | Registered: July 12, 2006
posted
Great information, Perry! I have learned a great deal on this beautiful clock from it.

One thing I can add is the Staggerwing and Gullwing were made by different makers. The Staggerwing is the common name for the Beechcraft D-17S Staggerwing biplane of the 1930s. The most memorable feature is the lower wing is further forward than the upper wing. The Gullwing was the common name for the Stinson V-77 Reliant Gullwing of the 1930s which was a single wing design with the wing on top and where there was a shallow V dip in the wings in the center that made it look a little like a bird's wings.

Both were beautiful higher end private aircraft marketed to the wealthier people of the day.

Here is a Stinson V-77 Gullwing

And here is a Beechcraft D-17S Staggerwing

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004