Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

8 day Waltham movement ID "Click" to Login or Register 
<Ian Fogden>
posted
Hi all

First post here, so please bear with me ;-) This 8 day Waltham movement was passed to me by a friend to see if I could identify what it came from. It has me stumped. There is a British broadarrow on it and (N.W.) 306. It measures 65mm across. Serial number is 22122628 Any ideas as to what it came from ?

Dial

Closeup

Movement

Thanks in advance

Foggy

posted
Foggy,

Welcome to the IHC 185 discussion site.

Thank you for posting this topic. I am sure you will find the information you are looking for here.

Regards,

posted
Hello Ian,

Waltham Watch Co. developed this 8 day movement called "37 Size" in 1908 for use as a automobile clock. It is powered by 2 main springs.

Basic clock has 7 jewels; they also made an upjeweled version with 15 jewels like yours. These were used for applications which better time keeping was desired particularly naval deck watches. They supplied both gimballed and non-gimballed versions.

Whitney wrote that Waltham made 1.8 million car clocks, but only 15,000 with the 15 jewel version like yours.

Based on the serial number - this watch was part of 1000 watch production run made in 1917 during WWI.

If you need more information let me know.... Andy Dervan

Posts: 53 | Location: Grosse Pointe, Michigan USA | Registered: March 07, 2004
<Ian Fogden>
posted
Thanks for the warm welcome and the comprehensive answers. Excelent :-)

Thanks again

Foggy

<Ian Fogden>
posted
One more question, if I may. What would the hand (missing) between 3 and 4 have been for ? Power reserve indicator ?

Thanks in advance

Ian

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Welcome to the forum, Ian.

This is an interesting movement. The dial appears to be the type used in Waltham automobile clocks, with an up-down indicator. As noted above, the 15 jewel model was a cut-above average. These movements were used in U.S. Army and other aircraft clocks. Those I have seen for aircraft have not had up-down indicators, but did have black dials.

This movement may have had some connection with the Royal Navy. My guess is derived from the style of broad arrow, which I have seen stamped upon other Royal Navy timepieces. Further, it’s not marked in the manner of the Royal Flying Corps., which would have been my next best guess.

It’s interesting to see the Roman numerals painted over with arabic numerals in what resembles old luminous paint. I wonder if it was upgraded at some point to a luminous dial from a clock in stores? This sort of modification was not uncommon for timepieces in Royal Navy stores.

I’m unable to shed much light on the “N.W.” marking. If this marking were found on a late 19th century item, such as a rifle, I would suggest it was a property marking for a military unit from North Wales, however, I think this is unlikely for a clock. Far more likely, the N.W. stands for a unit repair facility where the clock was adjusted, inspected and possibly modified for some specific purpose. Yet another possibility is that N.W. is a code used for Waltham products, the other numbers being the issue number of the clock. This was often the practice back then for other clocks and watches in Royal service.

Thanks for posting the interesting clock movement. I only wish I could be more definite with my response.

Best regards,

Greg

Posts: 1983 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
posted
Welcome Foggy to ch 185.
I like those big Waltham movements.I hope to get a 15 jewel clock in my collection someday.I have a few of the Waltham 7 jewel, 8 day clocks.Nice clocks and well made. Wink

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
BTW, are you the same Foggy who posts stuff on MWR? If so, you do find cool stuff at those "boot sales!"

Best regards,

Greg
(a.k.a. "45Auto")

Posts: 1983 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
<Ian Fogden>
posted
Thanks for the info, gents.

Greg - yes, I'm that "Foggy" - been around the watch sites for a few years now. Still picking up watches at the boot sales, although it's definitely harder to find military pieces there these days.

Best Regards

Foggy

posted
It's interesting that this is a much fancier movement than the one in my U.S. Army Air Service clock which has no engraving at all and a much less precission regulator. Also, it winds at 12 rather than 6 as you would expect for an instrument panel mounted clock.

Posts: 15 | Location: Newton, Kansas U.S.A. | Registered: September 02, 2004
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Check out the August 2005 issue of the BULLETIN, pg.458. An example like the above was set up in a gimbled box during WWI as a marine chronometer for small boats. These movements appear to have had a wide range of uses. I expected the article to include an example of the 37S Waltham movement in aircraft clocks. But non are shown.

Best regards,
Greg