• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton Model 22 "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hello everyone, I have a few questions about this Ham Mod 22 I purchased years ago. Does anyone know the production date and what type of ship / plane ? this might have been in?.
And, as to value. The price guide shows the boxed and gimbled and the cased version but has no prices as to this type simply sitting in the shipping container. Any thoughts ?.

Ray

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
posted
# 2

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
posted
# 3

posted
# 4

posted
# 6
Serial # is 2F14609

posted
Some of these movements were recased into pocket watch type cases and sold to the Air Force, but yours is in the Navy case that would have been used on a ship. As for the vintage, is there a reason not to believe the markings on both the case and the movement where they say 1942? I would not imagine the movement would have sat around undelivered very long at that point in the war where the U.S. was in deep trouble and was pouring everything into the war effort as fast as they could.

As to how much it is worth without its original gimbal case, I think the answer would be to find such a case for sale and subtract that amount plus a bit more since most people do not want to spend their time looking for a case. From what I have observed, cases seem to be rarer than the watches so you might expect to pay a stiff amount for a corrrect case and spend a fair amount of time searching for it, though you might get lucky and find one quickly. If you are hoping to sell this you would do well to find a case since most collectors are looking for complete examples.

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
posted
Thanks Jim,
Was really more interested in a more precise manufacture date of 1942, Maybe month, day etc..
I think I may look for the bax and complete it.
Thanks for the info
Ray

posted
I don't think the 1942 refers to a year of manufacture. If it is like the model 21, it refers to a contract date. Anyone else have a thought on this?

Posts: 767 | Location: Los Osos, California USA | Registered: December 12, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Ray, first if the can you have for this is the one provided by the Naval Observatory to return the watch for cleaning and re-timing, it has value on it's own.

When WWII ended most supply and service contracts were cancelled as fast as possible. So it may have been "surplused as-is" in the can instead of being returned for service.

Second, at some L.A. marts I have seen one guy who has gimballed cases for these. You might contact some of the local clubs to see who that is.

As for date of Production, of I have only been able to determine that (as of 1948) 28,127, 1942 contract model 22's were made. As yours is 14609, an educated guess is that it would fall into a 1943-44 delivery period.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Thanks Dave, That's the type of information I've been hunting for..I might try and find a box for it...To be quite honest I forgot I had this one and a model 21 in the shipping cans in the back of a cabinet...They really are great time keepers and a joy to listen to when they run.

Ray

posted
I think this is the guy David is taking about he has a web site his prices are good I bought a outer box from him and it was great work here is the web site.
http://www.shipsclock.com/Abou...Chron.htm#Hamiltions
Here are photo's of the outer box he made.

Posts: 523 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 23, 2008
posted
Thanks for that link Mike, great information..Wow, dont know if spending 800-1000 on this would be worth the cost in the long run..I might have to find another way. Beautiful workmanship on your outer box too.
Ray

posted
Ray some time's used real boxes show up on flea bay.All I had to get was the outer box and that was cheaper than getting both.

Posts: 523 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 23, 2008
posted
Thanks Mike, I will keep a look out for a used one instead

Ray