• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hanhart, WW2-Cal 54. "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Here´s a watch I picked up last week ( I love these controversial watches/topics), to be honest, not so long ago I thought it might be a Ukrainian frankenwatch, but I´ve learnt in the meantime!Smile
The watch was produced all through the war years and even up into the early 50ies,
The watch is built nowerdays as an homage by Hanhart, which is nice to know. built into the same size case (39mm) as the 1 and 2 pusher chrono´s (Cal 40 & 41), so fairly large, using the mainplates of the Cal 40, but they called it Cal 54 Wink. They built the watch without any of the chrono parts used.
I found a couple of references to the watch in the German Flying Time forum, and here´s the rough google translation;

5. three-hand watches for the Wehrmacht

These beautiful watches have gained more attention lately. These were hardly ever seen in the past . On their use, there are many rumors, in addition to the Air Force, they are also in the army and in the Waffen-SS in use have been. After the war there was a civil further construction until the 50s. The war had all watches a pressed stainless steel caseback. After the war there were also civilian Stülpgehäuse where the movement was inserted from above.

Interesting is the fact that this type of watch has been built almost from the beginning to the end of the war. Inside is a stripped-caliber 40 movement, known as caliber 54. It is therefore time to most universal military Hanhart watch type.
______found here; 5. Dreizeigeruhren für die Wehrmacht

As far as I know, the watch isn´t even mentioned in Konrad Knirim´s book, only saw it once in the book Montres Militaires written by Constantin Parvulesco, so fairly scarce.
Here´s the link to todays replica called Pioneer Preventor9

...and here´s the watch;

...here´s a picture from the book Montres Militaires written by Constantin Parvulesco,

cropped

I´ve managed to find a few others and these are the ones I´ve seen uptill now (caseback numbers);
101 474
102 878
103 887
105 009
107 404
108 849
110 579
110 746
111 738
123 988
124 092
125 815
125 915
127 384

Best regards
Werner

My WWW collection is now complete, time to look for new ventures!

Posts: 699 | Location: Hannover in Germany | Registered: July 23, 2009
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Excellent post, Warner.

The last time I examined one of these the owner said it was made late in the war to save time and money. But if I understand the translation, they were made early in the war as well. What is your understanding?

Posts: 1988 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
posted
Hi Greg,
from what I´ve read about these watches, my understanding is; the chronos Cal 40 and cal 41 were built and finished, but the ones that came out of quality contol at the end of the manufacturing process and not working properly because of tolerance differences in the chrono parts, instead of dumping the faulty ones, were simply stipped of the chrono parts and used with just a subdial at 9:00...
Towards the end of the war, even the normal double sub dialed Chrono dial was used for lack of proper single sub dials, leaving the hole for the right sub dial empty.
A freind and forum Mod (Flying Time Forum) has one of these rare double sub dial variants where only the left sub dial used.
They were made from the early war years till mid fifties.
Here´s one of his which was made in the fifties laying next to a WW2 version

If you´d like to read a bit more with the rough google translator on these watches; Flying Time Forum

A member of Flying Time forum led us to another post regarding these watches, which certainly spices up the information that has already been found. Again a rough google translation; Uhrenwerkstattforum

My WWW collection is now complete, time to look for new ventures!

Posts: 699 | Location: Hannover in Germany | Registered: July 23, 2009