Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

HAMILTON WRIST "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
My only military wristwatch. It is a Hamilton sweep secound with hack stop. The movement is a 987S.

Rich Kuhn
IHC Member 155

Posts: 896 | Location: New Jersey in the USA | Registered: December 16, 2002
IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
picture 2

IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
picture 3
I got lucky a few years ago and bought a new old stock dial for it. The hands are what was on it when I got the watch many years ago. I am still looking for a crown with some age but not worn out.

Rich Kuhn
IHC Member 155

posted
Hi Rich, Nice Hammy. The interesting thing that I note on this is that with a buff dial, it is a garrison watch. This is versus a tactical watch, which has the black dial. The garrison watches were issued to combat service support troops, ie supply, medical, transportation, etc. It was believed that there was no need for a hack set on a garrison watch. The hack set was standard on a tactical watch for synchronizing watches in combat. Yours is hack set. This is the first ww-2 watch without a black dial that I have seen that has a hack set. Now, I wonder if way back when it might have been originally issued with a black dial and the owner had the dial changed to buff after the war. Who Knows?

Tom

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
A great Hamilton.

Regarding white dials: I have been informed that early Elgin USAAF A-11 flight watches had white dials. Originals are hard to find. The Navy issued a black dial flight watch - while USMC pilots are said to have used the same watch, with the same markings, but with a white dial. I'm not sure about the USMC pilot watch info, I pass it on as collector hearsay - which may be correct or not.

Best regards,
Greg

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002