Internet Horology Club 185
Killer deal for you on a Beautiful Marine Chronometer

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/990103944/m/26210288

May 15, 2009, 19:21
David Abbe
Killer deal for you on a Beautiful Marine Chronometer
I already have one or this would already be sold! $735 + $100 shipping is a killer deal!

get it at;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA...IT&item=270391303133

Anyone who wants the one of the top 3 finest marine Chronometers made this is it. I cannot believe the price. You will never see this again for this kind of money.

May 15, 2009, 19:27
Tom Brown
Nice.

Would the gold hands & the blue second hand be normal?

Tom
May 15, 2009, 19:27
David Abbe
This is offered by Sabina, my beautiful Russian "Buyer".

May 15, 2009, 19:35
David Abbe
This is mine with the blue seconds hand, and Vladimir my watchmaker who made these as an apprentice watchmaker confirmed it's authenticity. Also you might enjoy the way that Sabena packed it. Wax sealed linen and inside the movement was professionally "corked".

May 16, 2009, 06:40
Phillip Sanchez
Unfortunatly for anyone that was interested. This beauty (not Sabina) Big Grin now belongs to me as soon as I find out about a wire transfer and as we dodge around Paypal. Smile
June 21, 2009, 11:35
Phillip Sanchez
The package arrived from Russia. Smile

June 21, 2009, 11:36
Phillip Sanchez
What a wrapping job.

June 21, 2009, 11:37
Phillip Sanchez
Everything great...........almost.

June 21, 2009, 11:39
Phillip Sanchez
Can't get it to wind. So no run Yike!!
I wonder if Dave or Chris would be interested in a repair?

June 21, 2009, 12:48
David Abbe
Did you uncork the balance wheel in the movement?
June 21, 2009, 16:50
Mike Sandell
Look nice I hope all you have to do is what David said.
June 21, 2009, 17:05
David Abbe
Phil, I add just a brief "primer" on the winding and let down arbors on this GIANT beauty. Good luck!

June 21, 2009, 17:29
Phillip Sanchez
Thanks to a phone call from Dave, I found out the winding is counter clockwise. Everything working great. Thanks Dave. Big Grin
June 21, 2009, 20:13
Eric Unselt
Nice catch, Phil! I can't decide which is prettier: Sabina, the box, or the chronometer Wink.
June 22, 2009, 09:49
Brian C.
Eric,
I say, Sabina, without a doubt. Wink
June 22, 2009, 17:59
Mike Rouse
She has another listed . I want one but cant afford it . Mike Another One

735.00 Buy It Now

June 22, 2009, 18:23
David Abbe
Just an FYI, Sabina lives near Vladivostok which is a huuuge Russian shipyard on the eastern coast of Russia. Many Submarines were built and dispatched from Vladivostok to patrol during the "cold war". The Chronometers such as we are looking at here were built expressly for navigation of these subs during the total blackout they operated under during the last 30 years of the "cold war". The number of these Chronometers actually built during the cold war was only in ther low thousands and Sabina has the connections (how can someone say no to her!?) to evidently recover these from the shipyards as these ships are decommissioned. The supply is very very limited, and they will become highly valuable to collectors.

June 22, 2009, 18:32
Mike Rouse
I couldnt say no to her but could say YES to her in Any language. Mike
June 22, 2009, 19:23
Mark de Regt
I said "yes" to her last week, buying one of those beautiful chronometers for $726 plus $100 shipping. Serial numbers matched in the photos; the box looked complete and excellent, and I was encouraged by David's posts to buy from her. So I did.

It's not like I "needed" another chronometer (I have a Hamilton Model 21 and a Hamilton Model 22, and I'll get a good mid-19th century chronometer when I feel like spending that much money), but for that price, it's hard not to buy one.

She shipped it yesterday; I'll let you all know how it is when I get it.

BTW, David, what's a "letdown?"
June 22, 2009, 19:23
Lindell V. Riddle

No doubt about it, both Sabina and her Chronometers are beautiful Smile and in great condition.

Now I better stop before I get in trouble... Eek deep!

Thanks a million to Dave for his help to Phil in getting things going.

Wink

June 23, 2009, 07:35
Phillip Sanchez
Dave, While I was talking to you, you metioned that parts of this chronometer were gold.
Which parts?
It is surely tempting to buy another. Big Grin
June 24, 2009, 15:39
David Abbe
Phil, as I understand it, the Balance weights are solid Gold, and of course the entire movement is HEAVY gold plated. A great deal of personal care to finish and precision went into each of these. Also Sabina sent me some more family pictures and all I can say is good looks runs in that family Cool!