• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Marine Chronometer "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I am not sure what section this belongs in, but since our watch guys are so sharp I decided to try this section.

I recently acquired a two day marine chronometer by Thomas Samuel Cogdon & Son, 28 Budge Row. Tony Mercer spells the name Cogden which is incorrect. The number is 1117, which Mercer makes note of. Other than the data Tony Mercer provides, I have been unable to learn anything else of this maker. I have asked some of my English contacts, but nothing has yet shown up. Jonathon Betts at Greenwich has not been able to offer any further data. If Oliver Mundy reads this I, I would like to hear from him. Do we have any marine chronometer mavens out there who can help?

Jerry Freedman

Posts: 767 | Location: Los Osos, California USA | Registered: December 12, 2002
posted
Jerry,
I've just looked up the name of Thomas Cogdon (by the way, this is the correct spelling ) in my Britten's Clocks and Watch Makers book. The information you show seems to be correct. Thomas Cogdon died in 1885. He had been apprencticed to a J. MacLennan who died at age 67. There's also a small refrence to marine chrononmeters.

That's all I could find.

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

Posts: 976 | Location: Texas in the U.S.A. | Registered: January 27, 2004