• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Page 1 2 
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Record & Lemania Military Wristwatch Case Markings. "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi Jim,
I must confess to not being too conversant with Military watches or clocks and their variants, my involvement with them came totally by (lucky)accident through buying a tray full of watches which contained them, but I've certainly noticed how the prices for military watches seem to be increasing steadily in general - on Ebay particularly.
Whether it's through growing numbers of enthusiasts sucking them off the market and increasing scarcity, I've no idea, but expensive many of them are now becoming for sure.

There's a Jaeger le Coultre and a Williamson military PW (both GSTP's) going through Ebay at the moment, that are probably about to clip through the £100GBP bracket!
I was hoping to have a dabble with the Williamson to match the one I have, but at that price, no chance, too rich for me!
I'll have to stick to finding 'Old Junk' to fix!

Interesting that Road Rally enthusists used to buy them, will have to keep my eyes peeled at auto-jumbles! One never knows just what may turn up!
Best regards
John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
Hi All,
Does anyone know of a supplier where I can get new stepped crystals for my Lemania and Record watches please?

I've contacted all the main suppliers I can find in the UK with no joy!
I'm now almost on the point of gluing a standard crystal inside a ring cut off the bottom of a bigger one! Frown

Regards
John.

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
Well, the Lemania goes to a new home on Monday, and all spruced up for it's journey, so a few last photo's of the watch for you to peruse.

Letting this go has been only marginally less traumatic than having a Wisdom tooth pulled, but that's life I guess!

Best regards

John

Lemania Watch

posted
Hopefully these images will appear somewhat better than the original poorly scanned efforts!
JW.

Lemania Dial

posted
Side view, nice bright and undamaged case.
J.W.

Lemania Side

posted
Ditto, but winder side.
J.W.

Lemania Winder side

posted
From strap bar end, both ends as good!
J.W.

Lemania Strap Bar

posted
Ready to 'Carry!
After cleaning up the original stepped crystal, it looked reasonably ok, so put it back.

Psyching myself up to wave 'bye bye' to the Record next, never thought I'd see that day come!
J.W.

Lemania with strap.

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
John, those are good pictures. That is an extra nice example. I would not mind having one like that. I'm sure it will be greatly appriciated.

Record also made these for the German army in WWII.

Best regards,

Greg

Posts: 2014 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
posted
Thanks for the comments Greg, and apologies for the late response.

The new owner is highly delighted with the watch I'm pleased to say, and it's gone to a fellow pilot too, which was the icing on the cake for me!
Seems he has around a dozen of these now!

I enjoyed ownership of the watch during the time I had it, but there's only so many watches one can wear at a time, and things change so we have to move on.

I've got some updated photo's of the Record now, so will post them later on.

Best regards,

John

posted
Updated photo's of the Record.

Having cleaned up the case and re-fitted the original crystal, it still looks great even after years of daily use.
The only brassing is on the extreme tips of the strap lugs and sharp edge of the bezel. even then it can only be seen clearly using a loupe.

I was using this watch when I qualified for my Commercial pilots license in 1994, so I've owned and used it for far longer than I realised.

I haven't checked the tiemekeeping accurately recently as I only wear it infrequently these days, but over the last week it appears to have run with a loss of less then a minute in two or three days, which isn't bad considering it hasn't been serviced for quite a while.

Best regards

John

Record 1

posted
Dial Uncased.
J.W.

Record 2

posted
Case back.
J.W.

Record 3

posted
Face close up.
J.W.

Record 4

posted
Cased Movement.
J.W.

Record 5

posted
Winder Side.
J.W.

Record 6

posted
Plain Side.
J.W.

Record 7

posted
Strap lug view, both ends much the same.
J.W.

Record 8