Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

WW1 Longines U.S. Navy Deck Watch "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
This is my newly acquired case off eBay which is only 3 #s from yours Michael,now if I could only find the rest of it-sigh Roll Eyes

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
IHC Member 1550
posted
Awsome find Tom!

Posts: 495 | Location: Southcoast Massachusetts | Registered: May 13, 2010
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
I believe from the searching I have done, that the USSB Torpedo Boat Deck Watch Box as used with the Hamilton 36 size deck watch would be the correct one also supplied by the Navy for at least the early Longines silver torpedo boat watches,all of which apparently had Naval Observatory numbers ( the Hamilton 36's were numbered by the USSB) and not the Hamilton model 22 deck watch box, which I believe was substituted for this use at a later date

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
#3 a view of the triple decker box with my Longines silver deck watch case inserted-a perfect fit

IHC Member 1550
posted
Tom nice box.
"I'm hovering around trying to figure out how to get me one-or even this one-she's a real beauty"
Wink

Posts: 495 | Location: Southcoast Massachusetts | Registered: May 13, 2010
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
just bought this Longines triple decker deck watch box on eBay today.

to whoever cropped the picture for me,thank you very much,Tom

Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
A nice one Tom. It will look fantastic after a refurbish. I missed that one some how, I usually keep an eye on those passing through ebay.

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
It was poorly titled so I just barely caught it.

"Old Longines 7 Grands Prix Wooden Box Case For Pocket Watch Mahogany Wood"

It was going quite low but jumped to $210 in the last few seconds,no problem though , as I had a high snipe on it and got it for $212.50 Wink

eBay item # 400462896044 , I can't seem to add a link,my Mac is acting up a bit,first time in 8 years lol

this picture appears to show identical box with Longines deck watch

posted
Very nice! I would urge you to just give it a gentle cleaning and a bit of light polishing rather than a refurbishing. So much of its historyh and meaning is in the wear and tear and if you refurbished it all of that would be lost and it would be little different from a modern reproduction. Conservation of these old survivors is the better way to go in my personal opinion.

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
I agree with Jim. I didn't mean a sanding and refinishing!

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
#3a

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted

posted
Very nice Tom, and I know you well enough to say you won´t change a thing on that case, will you?

By the way, my Longines Navy Deck Watch would fit in there as well Wink

My WWW collection is now complete, time to look for new ventures!

Posts: 699 | Location: Hannover in Germany | Registered: July 23, 2009
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
der ist rechter Sir Wink