Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

WW2 Canadian Military Pocketwatch Questions "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1550
posted
Hello all! Can anyone assist me in researching this watch. I know its Canadian Military and the markings on the back (Broad arrow within a “C”) suggest the time frame for the markings to be between 1939-1945. It is 15 jewels, chromed base metal case. But as usual I have some questions:
For what purpose would there be for a “general service” pocket watch that does not have a bow during this period?
Could this watch have been from WWI and reticulated and marked again during WWII?

Can anyone please help me with this watch and fill me in on its purpose, possible age and division it might have been used in the Canadian Military?

Posts: 495 | Location: Southcoast Massachusetts | Registered: May 13, 2010
IHC Member 1550
posted
Side case

IHC Member 1550
posted
Face

IHC Member 1550
posted
Movement shot

posted
Hi Michael,
the only pocket watches without bow I know about, were fitted on WW1 planes instrument panels in special clip-on holders.

I quote from a book "If the plane crashed and the pilot survived, he was to remove the watch from the wreck and turn it in. If he didn't do this, he was subjected to court martial!" end quote.

I also heard that bowless watches were fitted to radio equipment and navigation instruments, but don't quote me on this.
Regards
Peter

Posts: 192 | Location: Vicenza in Italy | Registered: February 04, 2009
IHC Member 1550
posted
Peter this watch does resemble the cockpit watches during the WWI period. It is strange that this watchs' military engravings are dated to WWII but with the WWI style. Also the movement looks older than WWII to me but i am not a movement expert. I don't know either? Thank you for your reply.

IHC Member 1550
posted
Here is another little piece of the puzzle on this watch. It has a 15 jewel caliber UT245 movement. Might anyone know more about the movement like when it was made and by what manufactuer. That may at least place a date to the watch. Thanks all. I also posted another shot of the odd arm without a bow. M

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
I believe the movement looks exactly appropriate for WW2 planes and boats , as either a deck watch or an air timing or comparing watch , and I believe they were used on navigation devices on WW2 bombers attached to the sextant in the place supplied for that purpose for timing exactly the sightings being taken Wink Had a lovely holiday around Plymouth, and Cataumet Mass one year , great place !!! Big Grin

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
posted
I agree with Tom. It is does not look like a first world war Mark V watch. It appears to be a second world war watch, or perhaps a bit earlier or later. As Tom mentions, it was likely made to snap onto an instrument or a mapboard hence the lack of a bow.

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
IHC Member 1550
posted
Tom and Jim,
I agree with you both as this does not look at all like a general service piece. It must of had some particular function for a particular instrument that of course we will never be certain. Thanks for the replies. M

IHC Member 1550
posted
This watch is now available and offered on eBay. I will attempt to attatch the link.
Make an offer if you like. Send me an email to speak of terms if you wish. Thanks all!.
eBay auction link here.

posted
Hello Michael

I believe I can identify your watch.

In my collection I have let us say more than several of these watches.
They all have identical movements but the identity key is that on the balance cock of just one of them is stamped the Swiss makers code;

" GMX "

These watches were made by Girard-Perregaux.

You are further correct about the "bowless" pendant being used in a clip-in function.

They were used in conjunction with the WW2 Mark 19 radio sets which were used in Tanks and in the Field and were basically short range radios.

If you Google the Mark 19 sets you will see many pictures of them.

The sets have a Bakelite enclosure on the left hand side of the face of the radio, holding these watches.

I did not have any pictures prepared for this post but if you wish to see my "GMX" watch I am happy to upload a picture.

I hope I have helped a little in shedding some light on this question.

Good luck on your Ebay sale.

Regards
Hart

Hart597

Posts: 4 | Location: Greater Toronto in Canada | Registered: May 12, 2011
IHC Member 1550
posted
Hart,

Thank you sooooo much for shedding some light on my watch. It makes it all that more interesting. It was a bit of a mystery of what this watch's exact purpose was. Are all the movements made by Girard-Perregaux or just the ones marked GMX? This new information makes it harder for me to give up this watch and sell but money is needed as always. Thanks again for your help in this matter. Nice to coorespond with you for the first time as well and I would love to see a photo of your examples! All my best, Mike

posted
quote:
These watches were made by Girard-Perregaux.

Now thats not quiete correct...only if it´s stamped
GXM, and not GMX, which is the American code meaning;

GXM - Girard-Perregaux, Mimo

My WWW collection is now complete, time to look for new ventures!

Posts: 699 | Location: Hannover in Germany | Registered: July 23, 2009
posted
...and Michael, the movement in your watch is a
Unitas 29, 31 or 33.
which one exactly, depends on the structural height of the movement. Here is a hunter type with appropriate bridge layout:
Unitas 34 Savonette

IHC Member 1550
posted
Hey Werner,

Might the Unitas calibers you mentioned be the same as the UT245 my watchmaker mentioned? When the watch was serviced by him he mentioned that the watch has this type movement: UT245 caliber 15 jewel. He was quite sure of the caliber movement if I recall. M

Auction link here for this watch

posted
Hello to Michael & Werner

I made a typo in my original post.

The balance cock is marked " GXM "

NOT " GMX "

I apologies for the typing error.

I might further speculate that the letters in

your movement code of " U T " might be an

acronym for:

"Uhrentaschen" which I believe is German for

(literal) a watch for the pocket. Uhren = watch and Taschen = pocket.

I hope I have that translation correct as German is not my second language Smile

Regards
Hart

Hart597

Posts: 4 | Location: Greater Toronto in Canada | Registered: May 12, 2011
posted
Hello Hart and Michael,
your watchmaker might be right, but in the Ranfft Database, the caliber isn´t mentioned.He also remarked on the calibers...
Remarks
open face calibre
like 31, but bigger barrel
differences not known between 231, 235, 239, 249, 255, 259, 265, 271, 277, 447, 449, 471, 477, 508

Example, year: signature; shock device
ca. 1930: 55, 273
(Alpina 273, Unitas 31)

Here´s the link to the cal. listed
just type unitas into the search box

IHC Member 1550
posted
Thank you Hart and Werner for the additional information. I will contact my watchmaker and attempt to pick his mind on this movement and see if he can recall this when he did his service on my watch. If any new information surfaces I will post it. Thanks again all! Mike

Auction link here for this watch

IHC Member 1550
posted
Hello all,

This link aquiered through the help of Hart Bayne is a quick description and nice photo of the radio in question that would have held the discussed watch during WWII and after. The "famous" Wireless Set No. 19. The watch would have been held in the large black circular housing on the lower left portion of the radio in this photo.
These radios were also lended to the Russia during WWII and were in their T-32 tanks as well.
Canadian Wireless No. 19 Radio

Ebay auction for this watch

posted
Thanks for shedding light on this interesting Canadian watch Hart. Knowing it was snapped into a holder on the standard short range radio that was used in most Canadian Army vehicles from tanks to armored cars to trucks, etc. fits my assumption that it was fitted to some kind of equipment. I would imagine some of those mark 19 radios might be might still be around and if you could buy one and fit the watch into it that would make a really great display.

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
IHC Member 1550
posted
This watch has sold. Thank you all, especialy Hart for shedding light on this timepiece. It was you that let me focus and sell the watch to the Wireless Radio No. 19 crowd. I owe you lunch..........do you like Happy Meals?