Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Mystery Military Dollar Watch "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of John J. Flahive III
posted
In the spirit of the current Bulletin article on dollar watches, I have the following mystery military watch I am trying to learn more about.

This is a 33mm (4s?) dollar watch with two men on the front. I believe the one on the right is Kaiser Wilhelm II. Not sure who the other guy is.

On the back of the watch is a raised plastic area with the 1914 Iron Cross. See Iron Cross Link from Wikipedia. [Note: I haven't tried to do the link thing before, so if this doesn't work, do a google search for Iron Cross like I did Wink]

The movement does not have any writing on it to identify the maker. Does anyone have any more info on this watch? Speculation and discussion welcome...

John III

Posts: 1755 | Location: Colorado in the USA | Registered: October 17, 2005
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Closeup of the mustachioed gentlemen

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Back of Watch

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Movement

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
More intrigue...

From the Wikipedia article:

"One of the most famous holders of the 1914 Iron Cross 1st Class was Adolf Hitler (which was unusual as very few holders of the 1914 Iron Cross 1st Class were enlisted soldiers: Hitler held the rank of Gefreiter, or Lance Corporal)"

Could the guy on the left be Adolf before he trimmed his mustache? Eek

John III

posted
The younger looking guy on the left, the one with the mustache that has the points going upwards is definitely Kaiser Wilhelm II of Germany. The older looking guy on the right with the white hair and bushy mustache seems to be Emperor Franz Josef I of Austria-Hungary (I'm only 98% sure about my Franz Joseph identification since the photo is so small and grainy).

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
John, Thanks for the picture. I'm not sure of the maker, either.

At the start of WWI, there was active debate in the U.S.A. about which side - if any side - we should support. This watch appears to be a relic of that time.

Jim is correct, the other man on the dial is Emperor Franz Josef. I have seen watch fobs, dials and so forth with both of these early axis leaders on them.

Like Musolini (sp?) of Italy, Hitler was a corporal and a combat veteran of WWI. Brave, yes, but with the sole of a jackboot. It's the greatest tragedy of the 20th century that his four years in the trenches did not make him a better man.

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Thanks for the info gentlemen.

I assumed the guy on the right was Kaiser Wilhelm since he looks like the guy on the New Haven Clock and Watch Co. watch on pg 325 of the Shugart Price Guide.

John III