Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Swiss Civil War Era Hunting Case Watch "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Clyde Roper
posted
Greg asked if anybody else had any CW era timepieces. Well this is the only one I have. I don't know that it IS Civil War vintage, and it has no direct military connection I'm aware of...but its been kind of quiet 'round here so here goes.

This watch actually got me hooked on antique pocket watches. I had always liked pocket watches but this was the first antique PW I bought, about fifteen years ago.

I saw it at a flea market and it caught my eye immediately. I didn't have any collector books, no information at all about antique watches...but I was fascinated to find a key wind PW in working condition for a reasonable price.I knew that Civil War era pocket watches had been key wind...I bought the watch. Smile

It is still a pretty good timekeeper. The case is marked "detached lever, 13 jewels, E. Richard, Locle" and "hands" for the keyhole. It is hard to narrow these down in manufacture date, but I think it fits for the approximate time period of the Civil War.

The crystal is a plastic replacement and the hands don't match, but it I feel I could have done worse for a first antique PW.

Posts: 203 | Location: North Carolina in the USA | Registered: December 05, 2006
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Thanks for the images of your watch. It is a possible.

I have seen other watches like yours with "Richard" engraved on the covet, but I have not been able to find out anything about who Richard might have been.

Best regards,
Greg

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002