Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Breitling Chrono Val 5 "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Here is a interesting Breitling chronograph, I take it from 1969? Movement in wonderful condition, also shock resistant Val 5 movement. Can anyone tell me about that odd bow?.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted

posted
That does not look like it belongs on that watch.Does it have any military marking on the case?

Posts: 523 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 23, 2008
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Mike, I have seen the bow on others of this type, in a way its so out of place it has to be correct Big Grin wonder if was to make it easier to hold when using the stopwatch.

posted
I am suprised to see it was for the US military.Nice watch Chris

Posts: 523 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 23, 2008
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Chronos are my favorite, haven’t been able to many other examples so far, which I suppose is good!.

posted
What you have there is a "MIL-W-5605A WATCH, POCKET, DTU-10/P, NAVIGATION, MASTER TIME" timer. The standard for your timer was first issued on October 5, 1963. I do not know how long it these were being made before these specs were cancelled and replaced by the current model which is standard MIL-W-50717, but I would imagine it would have for many years since they seem to be well made.

Here are a couple of reference pages on your timer: equipment codes Mil specs

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Thanks Jim,

These Val 5 are great movements seem well made. This one is keeping great time as is,