Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Any Other Marine Chronometer Collectors? (w/pics) "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Greetings,

I confirmed on another thread that Werner was a fellow marine chronometer nut, do we have any others out there?

My personal addition comes from having gone to sea (merchant marine) and having used these on a daily basis to determine position. There were quartz chronometers back then, but I did sail with mechanical chronometers at the time. About the only thing that I like about the quartz is that I'm not having to wind them all the time, thus the reason for only one in my collection. And no, we did not have GPS back in the late 80's when I sailed, we had a single SATNAV that might give us a fix on position once a day, but nothing that compared to a good star sight or post meridian azimuth.....

I started collecting about two years ago and have enjoyed it wonderfully, especially reading the discussions here on IHC 185. I've learned a lot and I feel that it is time to give back and share what I've collected.

Before the pictures, I would like to say that I do take some of these to my children's school when they are learning about the explorers, they find it fascinating to see one of these in person and tell the story of how time is so important. For them to be able to see (not hold) an early 1800's working chronometer and handle an octant of the same age is simply priceless, it sure beats reading about it in a book. Plus, when my children are in the class, they enjoy my educating (i.e. correcting) the teacher on what a chronometer is (it is not a clock for goodness sake, that is blasphemy).

Here's the highlights of the collection:
- 1830 Morris Tobias 850 - My favorite piece
- 1830 Parkinson & Frodsham 2117, later resprung by Johannsen & Sons - small chronometer in original box
- Hamilton M21 - N41 - Very Early Serial - Original Box/Finish
- 1976 Mercer - recent addition, bought from a fine gentleman with the same passion for these pieces, much like the ones I sailed with, so glad to have such a pristine example.
- 1880 Brocking (German) - Fancy rosewood box
- 1895 HG Blair Chronometer - Rosewood box - Mercer movement, with US Army markings from WWI
- 1943 Kreigsmarine Chronometer, Lagne & Sohne, in Brass Bowl - I don't normally memorialize Nazi memorabilia, but this one was interesting
- Hamilton M21 - N11269 - Perfect Condition - Was in a Watchmakers display window for nearly 50 years
- Hamilton M22 - Sidekick to the above
- 1950s early Kirova
- 1976 Kirova - found in factory sealed zinc box, never has been wound outside of factory trials. Movement is absolutely beautiful
- Glashutte Quartz Chronometer - my master time keeper for the office

The following are the pictures of these together. The first set is as follows: (L-->R Glashutte, Morris Tobias, Parkinson & Frodsham, Brocking, Lagne/Sohne). In the front is the Sgt. Fern Hamilton 922, which is my only pocket watch. I was captivated by its history. Many of you here on IHC 185 will be familiar.

2011-02-25 Chronometers 015 by mdjtlj, on Flickr

The second photo contains the following (L-->R Hamilton 21 N11269, HG Blair, Mercer, Kirova, Hamilton M21 N41, and the 1976 Kirova).

2011-02-25 Chronometers 014 by mdjtlj, on Flickr

If you'd like pictures of the individual pieces, let me know, I've got them and can post if need be.

I sure would like to hear from more marine chronometer nuts, sometimes I feel as if I collect these all alone.

One last photo, all the pieces in their normal positions, outside of the safe....

2011-02-25 Chronometers 018 by mdjtlj, on Flickr

Posts: 102 | Location: Houston, Texas in the USA | Registered: September 26, 2009
IHC Member 1550
posted
Hi Michael,

I have one chronometer. Its a 1945 Hamilton Model 22 U.S.A.A.F issue. Its not a "marine chronometer" to say but very much like the Hamilton Naval 22's. It is the large pocket watch style. The difference between the two is the box it comes with. The operating instruction plate is not the usual small black plate but a larger silver colored plate that partially goes around the viewing portal. Only the small inner box was issued to the USAAF as compared to the inner and outer for the Navy. Rear case nomenclature is different as well. I will attach some pics if I can. I have been having issues resizing photos as of late. There is a nice thread on the 1st page of this military timepiece discussion area titled " Hamilton model 22 chronometer questions" with some photos of mine and Mr. Ronald Canaday.
I am a chronometer "nut" and would love to add a naval gimbaled version 22 to my collection. So dam expensive! Nice collection!

Posts: 495 | Location: Southcoast Massachusetts | Registered: May 13, 2010
posted
That is a beautiful collection of timepieces you have. I have owned many Hamilton Chronometers in the past but have sold them off due to the space they took and the children I'm raising Smile. I currently own a sole Russian Chronometer I keep packed away.
Seeing those boxed Chrono's on top of that cabinet gives me the chills. But then again I do live in "Earthquake Territory" Big Grin

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
posted
Now that is what I´d call a dedicated collector.
I wish I was as resolute as you (or maybe not), my collection has meandered I´m afraid, but no less interesting.
I too went to sea, late 60´s early 70´s for the Shah of Persia, Mohammad Rezā Shāh Pahlavi.
Being the chief electician on board the 13000BRT Arya Dad sold mid 71 , I had so much time on my hands, I was able to spend a considerable amount of time on the bridge. No GPS on that ship, everything was still done the old fashioned way, by hand.
When I find the time I´ll also add a photo of all naval pieces I have collected, which goes from navigation compasses, sextants, gimbaled chronometers, boxed chronometers, deck watches, etc, etc.

Regards

My WWW collection is now complete, time to look for new ventures!

Posts: 699 | Location: Hannover in Germany | Registered: July 23, 2009